2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

4.7L new hesitation occasional misfire

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 04:53 PM
chrisbuh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7L new hesitation occasional misfire

Looking for some thoughts. My 2000 4.7 is running a Jet performance module, K&N airfilter and just replaced the plugs with Pulstar units. Coincidentally I had the TPS and Idle Speed Sensor go bezerk after steam cleaning the motor. Replaced those both. Now that everything is back and running and motor just purrs at idle, and smooth under normal driveing. I find at under hard acceleration not matter what gear occassionally the motor seems to retard or miss. Any thoughts. No engine codes. I also put in a bottle of fuel system cleaner that probably is not far enough through to finish it cleaning job.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:40 PM
gopher117

I have the same problem. My 4.7 starts sputtering when I accelerate medium to hard. Just bought the truck so not sure on maintenance history but as soon as I noticed it I took it to have the injectors cleaned. And im not getting any codes either. I hope somebody can give some good advice. I have been reading post all afternoon and this is the first one I have seen that matches what I have going on too..

Old 02-24-2013, 09:40 PM
chrisbuh

gopher117, What year is your Dakota? I have had mine 12 years and this is the first time I have had this situation with it. I had run my performance module and the K&N for several months so the only things that have changed recemt;u are for me the TPS, Idle Sensor and the new higher voltage spark plugs. Have you actually checked for codes? The way you do that is to cycle your ignition 3 times between off and prestart detent. If there are codes they will show up 1 per second in the mileage LCD after the 3 cycle of the ignition switch. If there are none you should just get a "P done" message only.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:26 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Dont be suprised if its not low quality gas with how bad things are getting this world is about to see some very bad times coming.

The world economy is in shambles things we used to depend on may become not so be warned.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:40 AM
gopher117

Chris, My truck is a 03 Ram. I didnt do the key thing to check for codes, I took it to a guy I know that Has a shop. He knows alot about dodge but was busy so he had a guy in the shop with him take there computer and scan it for codes and it came up nothing. Should I do the key thing?? I think I bought a lemon. Had plans to put a chip in it, a lift and 35s on it, and some other performance mods. But I have had it for 3 months and as of now I have to put a torque converter in, Power steering, and then the sputtering started up not long ago. I really hoped cleaning the injectors would clear it up put its not. Im gona try some lucas for the fuel today. Its just weird cause it runs great till I go to pass or get on it to get on the bypass. Good luck with your issue. I will let you know if I find out something.

Last edited by gopher117; 02-25-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:47 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

gopher117

Have you tried a higher grade of gas that may fix it if not I suspect a vacuum leak.

Only other thing I would suspect is a weak fuel pump low pressure the pumps are a known problem especial with the V8's as they work the fuel pump hard.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:27 PM
Dakotaquad
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i say this just happen to my truck this past friday and it was the gas. the poor truck even stalled out cause of the nasty gas. i pretty much fixed it with a bottle of lucus octane booster and let it on burning the fuel for a bit till it stopped being stupid.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:58 PM
gopher117

Well Chris in away im happy to say I have solved my problem.. Thought today I would just pull a plug for the hell of it. To make a long story the truck had been around salt water for a good part of its life and I knew as soon as I looked there had been no maintenance done on it and the plugs have never been replaced. Turns out after 120000 miles they were wore slam out, and one was even broken off.. New plugs even fixed my issue that i was told i needed to replace the torque converter.. No telling what else has not been maintained but im glad I got that solved!! Power steering is next that is leaking fluid terrible, stiff trying to turn, and raising hell!! Hope you find a fix to your issue Chris!

Old 02-25-2013, 09:52 PM
mmguy18
Veteran

Map sensor will make it hesitate.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:41 PM
chrisbuh
Default Solved

Finally last night the missing just went much worse and finally tripped the OBD. Got a P0301 and P0355 eventually. Number 1 cylinder and the on top ignition coil finally gave up the ghost. Luckily number 1 is really easy to change. I still have a very very minor hesitation occasionaly at full throttle, so I did pickup a MAP sensor as another person here suggested. Will change that and see if that solves the remainder. What was interesting is that for 2 weeks the coil was not bad enough to trip the OBD. At some point I should replace the remaining 7 they are 30 bucks a piece at NAPA. At 120K miles they may not build voltage the way they used to.

Quick Reply: 4.7L new hesitation occasional misfire