2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

winch bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 12:54 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Upload them to photobucket then post the image code on here

Old 03-11-2013, 06:09 AM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BCdakotaboy
Only got a couple pics,not quite finished. Go to my user page seems to be the only place I can download pics to.
Your bumper looks great! I like how the winch isn't exposed.

I'm trying to decide if I should put a grille guard hoop on mine. It looks good on yours, but on my bumper, there's not really any clean way to attach it at the ends. And I don't have a tube bender, so I'd have to pay someone to bend it for me. Which means I would be out real money if I didn't like it and didn't keep it.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:14 AM
Custer
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both bumpers look great guys.
What is your method for cutting the steel?

A bumper build thread/tutorial would be great.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:54 AM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I cut what I can with a chop saw. For the rest, I use either a torch or a Sawzall. After this job, I really wish I had a plasma cutter. Unfortunately, that's not in the budget right now. A bumper build thread would be pretty cool. People could use it for ideas on their own bumpers.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:24 AM
DakCC4x4
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive been contemplating making a full bumper replacement but im a little fearful of the extra weight up front. Im already having to replace one of my tbars in a few weeks due to sagging with my current set up. Nice bumpers though guys

Old 03-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Vladek
Veteran

i use 4.5 grinder w/cutoff wheel or sawsall. wish i had a bansaw tho.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:00 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well guys hang plows off their dakotas so I wouldnt think an off road bumper would be a problem. Just crank the tb and call it good.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Custer
Professional

Originally Posted by Tom A
I cut what I can with a chop saw. For the rest, I use either a torch or a Sawzall.
Originally Posted by Vladek
i use 4.5 grinder w/cutoff wheel or sawsall. wish i had a bansaw tho.
I don't have a chop saw but I do have a bandsaw and grinder...This is tempting. Did you guys use cardboard for templates or ...?

Tom...I'm betting a guy like you took lots of pix...Post a build thread!

Old 03-11-2013, 09:50 PM
BCdakotaboy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried using photobucket and it wouldn't upload my pics from my comp, don't know if its cause I'm in Canada or what, or that I'm computer illiterate... I have access to all the equipment at work so all the cutting was done with a plasma torch, I formed the sections on a brake press then welded them together. Imo forming the pieces provides better structural strength considering its 10 gauge steel. Going to create a trap door for access to the winch, cut out some 4" light holes, add some D lug tow points and finish the sides to wrap around the front clip. Next project is a tube rear bumper to match the front and sliders. Should be a busy couple weeks, ill post more pics and try to get a winch build thread going.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:45 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Custer
Tom...I'm betting a guy like you took lots of pix...Post a build thread!
Actually, I'm terrible about taking pics, lol. I get going on a project and forget all about it. I only have a few.

Originally Posted by BCdakotaboy
I have access to all the equipment at work so all the cutting was done with a plasma torch, I formed the sections on a brake press then welded them together. Imo forming the pieces provides better structural strength considering its 10 gauge steel.
I totally agree. Unfortunately, we don't all have access to all that cool stuff, so we have to use what's available in our garages. We actually do have a plasma cutter at the shop where I work, plus some other decent equipment, but I work for a government agency and we're not allowed to work on any of our own stuff in the shop.

Anyway, the strength in my design comes from the tube. The other stuff is mostly cosmetic. I'm definitely not worried about it bending easily.

I'm looking forward to seeing your build thread.

Quick Reply: winch bumper