2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Windshield "frame" part?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:07 PM
jlampitt
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Pony
I removed mine and used paint thinner to remove what was left of the coating, then did Plastidip on them and they have turned out great.
Good idea. Each of these little puppies is about $130 as I've found out.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:11 PM
DK Pony
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to go into a little more depth with the paint thinner.

It is VERY hard to remove all the original coating because it is actually a rubber type of stuff. Using a wire wheel or something like that only puts grooves in it and trying to use a razor scraper peels it off in chunks.

I used a DA sander with 1000 grit sandpaper to knock down the edges of the part that had worn off, then went back with Naphtha (paint thinner) to clean it up. That way the plastidip went down nice and smooth.

I ruined one trying to heat the stuff to remove it but it was one I got from the boneyard for 10 bucks. It was my experimental piece.

Also I tried using regular paint first and just didnt like the gloss black on it.And regular paint didn't want to stick to the rubber stuff even after the cleaning with the Naphtha. The plastidip had the right texture and went down perfect.

Last edited by DK Pony; 05-17-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Windshield "frame" part?