2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

And begin the drivetrain underhaul

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 01:33 PM
PhaneSoul
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And begin the drivetrain underhaul

Welp its about time i finally am going to have the money to replace my tranny, t-case and driveshaft.

what i have is;
tranny 46rfe
t-case 242

and when i got on today it was just to see what tell tale signs of something wrong with these items i should look for as i will only be able to pick em out of a junkyard. as well as what i should do maintenence wise while i have these items out of the truck before i put them on mine.

then i saw the 5spd tranny issues in another thread and thought this would be the perfect chance to switch over to a 5spd like ive wanted to!

now ive never done any research on the manuals and have no clue what im going to need, which is the best and if im going to have to switch driveshafts. but i figured i would post this then go research since im also at work and have little time to actually research heh.

i know im gonna need a pedal assembly
master cylinder
hydro lines
of course the tranny nv-3500

do i need to grab different driveshafts or will the AT & MT shafts be interchangeable?

ill be doing a write up on this weither it be goin to mt or not cuz i havent found one yet. k thx

Old 04-16-2013, 05:31 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by PhaneSoul
Welp its about time i finally am going to have the money to replace my tranny, t-case and driveshaft.

what i have is;
tranny 46rfe
t-case 242

and when i got on today it was just to see what tell tale signs of something wrong with these items i should look for as i will only be able to pick em out of a junkyard. as well as what i should do maintenence wise while i have these items out of the truck before i put them on mine.

then i saw the 5spd tranny issues in another thread and thought this would be the perfect chance to switch over to a 5spd like ive wanted to!

now ive never done any research on the manuals and have no clue what im going to need, which is the best and if im going to have to switch driveshafts. but i figured i would post this then go research since im also at work and have little time to actually research heh.

i know im gonna need a pedal assembly
master cylinder
hydro lines
of course the tranny nv-3500

do i need to grab different driveshafts or will the AT & MT shafts be interchangeable?

ill be doing a write up on this weither it be goin to mt or not cuz i havent found one yet. k thx
Have fun with the PCM.

/sarcasm

Old 04-17-2013, 10:08 AM
sl2racer
Veteran

i would imagine you will get a service engine soon light all the time if you keep the auto computer. otherwise a manual pcm swap would be good.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:23 AM
PhaneSoul
Amateur

yeah i kindve had a problem doin a manual swap on my 240sx, the check engine light never came on but without the manual pcm base idle went from 750 to about 1100 because it was still compensating for the torque converter instead of a clutch..

Old 04-17-2013, 12:07 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by sl2racer
i would imagine you will get a service engine soon light all the time if you keep the auto computer. otherwise a manual pcm swap would be good.
A PCM swap is required because of the neutral safety switch, reverse lights, and electronic O/D unit.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:14 PM
PhaneSoul
Amateur

interesting point.. i had those same three items i had to address on my 240sx. i cant remember what i did but it involved jumping the o/d unit, bypassed the neutral switch (i was able to start the car in gear i remember that) and i dont remember how i got the reverse lights to work.. but the way its looking my boss is gonna buy a durango for 500$ and give me the drivetrain and he is gonna use the motor to put in his durango that we have sitting at the shop and my cost is just going to be my labor to swap motors in the durango's.. pretty good deal if you ask me.. but i will be doing a 5spd swap in the future, that is a must. i just hope this durango has all the same items...

Old 04-17-2013, 11:15 PM
sl2racer
Veteran

i can only tell you, you can do the manual trans swap in a saturn and still use your auto pcm. everything works as it should but you get service engine light due to the pcm not seeing auto trans temps. it also removes your standing rev limiter and wot rev limiter and increases you top speed cutoff.

Quick Reply: And begin the drivetrain underhaul