2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Headlights go on and off on their own...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 09:28 PM
macgollabhride
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights go on and off on their own...

Hey gang!
It's been a while since I've posted here... I have been checking in here and there but I didn't have anything pertinent to share or decent suggestions of help to offer.

I have a sort-of new problem with my headlights. I replaced the existing/crumbling headlight assemblies with fancy projection headlights shortly after I bought my 1998 Dakota 3.9L. It worked out fine for about a year then, last fall, the headlights started to go off and on sporadically, on their own. I assumed it was the projection headlight assemblies that I put in so I replaced them with stock headlight assemblies. Seemed ok for a week but then they progressively got worse than before. I jiggled the headlight ****/plunger **** around and it seemed to help a little bit so, I replaced the switch with a band new one. Not only did it NOT help the headlight issue, it has created a new problem. I used to be able to fade the console lights from off to on when I twisted the **** but now the console lights are off when the **** is twisted to the right (as it should be) but no fade when I twist to the left. There’s two clicks when I go all the way left which turns on the console light AND, NOW my dome light. WTF?!

I was under the hood this afternoon inspecting and cleaning the contacts on following fuses/relays:
1. Fog Lamp Relay #1
10. 50 Amp Park & Int Lamp
16. 40 Amp Head Lamp
18. 20 Amp Stop Lamp
21. 25 Amp Hazard
22. 22 Amp Fog Lamp

Doing so didn’t change anything with my dome light and console lights. The headlights didn’t go off and on but I’m sure that they’re still screwed up.

Anyone here ever run into this hair-tearing-out/ NIGHTMARE of a problem?

Old 04-30-2013, 02:33 AM
JBs DAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My headlights would do the same thing... On and off at random.
Although NOT the other problems you describe. It was the turn signal
Lever that solved my problem. Might want to check into that.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:13 PM
macgollabhride
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JB,
I'll definitely check that out the turn signal lever. Thanks for the suggestion.
Hah I feel like every time I 'fix' something in this truck, I wind up creating three more problems for myself. Ugh.

Quick Reply: Headlights go on and off on their own...