2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Trans slams back into first while driving and sometimes into reverse...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 10:29 PM
macgollabhride
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans slams back into first while driving and sometimes into reverse...

I got my Dakota on October of 2011 with rebuilt transmission. I had to take it back to the garage that did the work several times because the pan and a couple seals were leaking. They all seemed nice enough people but they weren't able to correct the problem. My warranty has since worn out on the Trans and I don't want to go back to them anyways - I just check the fluid level everyday before I go to work.

The problem:
In the past three weeks I've noticed that when I have to step on the gas (not flooring it) to get out of a parking lot onto a main road - and similar situations when I need a quick boost without needing to maintain that boost, the transmission slams back into first gear(?), when letting off the gas. I've also noticed that the transmission makes the same ugly sound, sometimes, when I put my Dakota in reverse from a dead stop.
*I can describe better/give other situations when this has happens if need be.

Is this a linkage problem, something that can be corrected before the trans is ruined or should I drive it and myself off a cliff to end my misery?

Last edited by macgollabhride; 04-29-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:01 PM
go-part
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick Reply: Trans slams back into first while driving and sometimes into reverse...