2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001 Dakota-shocks/power steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 02:20 AM
kingkaden
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dakota-shocks/power steering

I recently bought a 2001 Dakota Sport 4.7L V8 4x4,

I need to get new shocks all the way around, i have tried researching, but cannot find out what would be best. I am looking into ranchos, kyb's, and maybe pro comps. Please let me know your input on these and which ones you would prefer, also tell me the shock model please. I mostly use the truck to drive in the city, but every other weekend i usually go up to the desert with my dirt bike in the back of the tuck and do very mild off road. The stock shocks are shot and i am looking for a good replacement. I am looking to spend no more than $50 per shock.

Another thing that started happening is while i am driving the power steering will randomly go out then come back after a few minutes. I have checked the fluid and made sure there was no air trapped inside. Anyone know what this could be? maybe the power steering pump? Should i take it in to get replaced if it is the pump or do it myself?

Thanks

Old 04-30-2013, 09:12 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Kingkaden,

Welcome to the forums!

On the shocks, I went through the same thing a year or so ago and ended up with Monroe Reflex. I had KYB's before, hated them. After a year they squeaked so bad I had to get rid of them.

For the power steering, it could be the pump but it may also be the rack. If it's intermittent that's where I'd be heading. The rack itself isn't that bad to change but you'd need an alignment afterwards. I wouldn't replace the pump without checking the pressures first.

You might try flushing the system. Maybe it'll clean it out and solve the problem (at least buy you some time).

Old 05-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Blacknights
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey welcome to forums!

I have '01 4.7 QC 4x4 automatic, I've actually replaced my shocks and my power steering pump within the past couple months. I choose monroe reflex for my front shocks and monroe load adjusting shocks for my rear shocks.

If you replace your pump, a brand new one can only be bought through the dealerships; it is the whole assembly (pump, resevior, radiator). You can replace the pump yourself pretty easily, only took me a hour or two, and get a quart of power steering fluid too.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:01 PM
kingkaden
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok thanks guys, I just ordered a set of monroe reflex's. I will also try and figure out if its my pump, rack or something else over the weekend.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dakota-shocks/power steering