2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Another 46RE transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 08:38 PM
jay.hampton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another 46RE transmission question

New mwmber here. I have searched all the threads here to find an answer to the problem I am having with my truck. It is a 2000 Dakota quad cab 4x4 5.9L. I bought it over the winter. Everything has been fine with the truck until the last few days. I live in northern Il. We finally got a warm day on Saturday. I was driving home from work which is about 15 miles. A couple miles from home my check engine light came on, and then about 2 blocks from the house the OD off light and trans temp light came on. I checked the fluid with the truck in neutral, the level was fine. It is dirty, but doesn't smell burnt. A few hours later, I drove around town at different speeds for about 20 miles and couldnt get the problem to happen again.
Like a dummy, I pulled the negative battery cable and reset the code. Now yesterday on the way home about 8 blocks from the house, the OD off and trans temp lights came on again. No check engine and no codes. I let it sit a few hours and drove it. It ran fine and shifted well, but then when driving around in the small town I live in, sometimes it will shift through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and then come out of gear. sometimes it will go back in, sometimes it wont. If I shut the truck off and start it again, it will engage like its supposed to but does the same thing. Not overheating though. Did the same thing in reverse. Sometimes it will engage, sometimes it wont. Still no check engine light or codes.
I pulled the trans pan, no metal in there at all. Checked the TCC solenoid with an Ohm meter like I found on youtube to do. 32.3 Ohms on one side, 32.2 on the other. Could this be the Governor Sensor Solenoid/Transducer, torque converter, or worse? Any Ideas???
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:04 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Torque converter clutch? If it slips, it'll overheat the fluid. It'd be more likely to happen on the highway or towing than around town.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:08 PM
jay.hampton

Thanks for the reply. I am not a transmission guy. Is the torque converter clutch part of the converter or seperate?

Old 05-02-2013, 09:52 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The clutch itself is part of the converter.

I don't know if it'll throw a code or not, if the clutch is slipping.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:14 PM
jay.hampton

Thank you. Do you by any chance know of any way to check the Govorner Pressure Solenoid/ Transducer? I found a video on checking the TCC Solenoid but not the other one.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:19 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The governor pressure sensor can trigger a code if the solenoid isn't responding correctly.

You can download a factory service manual here: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-download.html

It needs to be converted to a pdf, you'll need a free utility, but it is the real thing and has all the transmission diagnosis charts.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:24 PM
jay.hampton

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply: Another 46RE transmission question