2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

So... Sludge under valve covers.... Need help! Rebuild or other options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Krowbar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So... Sludge under valve covers.... Need help! Rebuild or other options?

So, I am fully aware that I have a blown gasket. I ordered the new gasket kit and hardware. I have only driven this truck ONE time for only 5 minutes when it first overheated the very first time. I took off the oil cap and noticed lots of the usual condensation and coffee creme sludge that's notorious.

Well, I went to pull off the driver's side valve cover and low and behold, there's a little sludge (not a tot) and obvious signs of condensation. I didn't think it would have any because I only drove it home when it first overheated (let it cool down, threw in water) and drove straight home.

I wasn't planning on it, but I drained the oil and yes, a little bit of coolant fell out first, and then lots of oil that just looked dirty (as it should) Didn't see any sludge evidence and there's no evidence of sludge on my oil dip stick either.

So my question is this. Can I just replace the head gasket and flush the motor with something? Or will a rebuild of crank bearings and cam bearing and all the head stuff be unavoidable? I would like to get it running good for as cheap as possible. Broke college student.

If there was a lot of evidence of this sludge coming out the drain plug or on my dip stick I would believe a rebuild would be necessary. has anyone had this issue and just fixed the gasket and flushed the motor some and it ran fine?

I don't need 100,000 more miles out of this thing, just want a running vehicle that shouldn't have any crazy issues after I fix it. The motor ran just fine before I tore it apart. No knocking, no idle issues. just overheated once.

Thank you!

Old 06-14-2013, 04:35 PM
dakota5.9
Rookie

Id say replace your headgaskets. im no professional though. I also think your truck may be my trucks twin!

Last edited by dakota5.9; 06-20-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:58 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you had good oil pressure before then I would say get the engine flushed out and call it good.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:32 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

What engine are we talking about hear?

If it's a blown head gasket just change the oil and filter when you get done, run it some, and change them again. I wouldn't mess with the bottom end unless you have to.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:12 PM
Krowbar
Rookie

Alright cool. Some jack *** said I need to rebuild it. He's a "mechanic" that is looking for work. Thinking he's just interested in making more money with steady work. I am just going to do it myself now. Only taking 9 credits this summer term. ha ha

Maybe they are twins, but your's looks nicer, is probably 4wd, and has the 5.9.

Mine is the 4.7

Old 06-15-2013, 02:40 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

be careful with the cam timing when you pull the head.

Condensation is normal on the 4.7. I wouldn't really worry about the sludge.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:28 PM
Krowbar
Rookie

Cam timing when you pull the head? Or when I put it back together? Will I need to pull the cam to get the heads resurfaced?

Old 06-17-2013, 04:28 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes you'll need to pull the cams, they are in each head. Cam timing when putting it back together.

Download the FSM if you don't have it. It takes you through how to do it.

This link: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-download.html

You'll need to convert it to pdf but the tools are free.

Quick Reply: So... Sludge under valve covers.... Need help! Rebuild or other options?