2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Missing then cut off & now wont restart?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 08:10 PM
tntitans21399
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing then cut off & now wont restart?

My truck has been bogging down when I first start it for the first 30sec then ok. Then it started to hesitate. It would do it randomly. Then it started to do it on the interstate. Then then yesterday I went through a drive through & it started missing really bad. Then went about 1 mile and it cut off while driving and wont restart. Over the past couple of months I replaced O2 sensor (before cat), distributor cap &I rotor button, new spark plug wires, new spark plugs, poured B-12 through vacuum line while running to clean any clogged or dirty parts, & put B-12 in the last couple of gas tanks. Just replaced Crackshaft position sensor. The starter will kick on but the engine never kicks. It is getting fuel so I don't think the fuel pump has any issues. Has anyone else had this issue & what fixed it? My truck does have about 230,000 miles, orginal engine, trans, & rear end.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:42 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Do you have any codes?

Old 07-04-2013, 08:48 PM
kingr00
Amateur

How do you know it is getting fuel? Did you use a pressure guage on the fuel rail?

Have you considered it might be a clogged cat? Symptons sound like it, except for the fact that it won't even kick when you are trying to crank it.

Mine had a cracked ignition coil that I didn't figure out until I was driving it a heavy rain.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:03 PM
tntitans21399
Professional

I had a mechanic friend come over yesterday & checked gas line pressure, it was about 50 so its good & gas came out of the connection port so its getting gas. Checked sparked plug wires & getting spark. Checked all fuses & got signal for injectors. Removed sparked plugs, looked old even though they are only 4 months old. 5 out of 6 were covered in gas. So he thought maybe some how it became flooded &take needed to be dried out. I let plugs out over night & put new spark plugs in. Still nothing. Starter kicks on strong but the engine doesn't want to start.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:05 PM
tntitans21399
Professional

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Do you have any codes?
No codes coming up. Before it would shoot a code &b go away & it said #3 cylinder misfiring.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:43 PM
tntitans21399
Professional

Originally Posted by kingr00
How do you know it is getting fuel? Did you use a pressure guage on the fuel rail?

Have you considered it might be a clogged cat? Symptons sound like it, except for the fact that it won't even kick when you are trying to crank it.

Mine had a cracked ignition coil that I didn't figure out until I was driving it a heavy rain.
I replaced ignition coil &I still the same. The mechanic I had look at it, came over to try see what he could figure out. He said there is fuel and I have power. He said the spark seemed low but still thinks it should try to start. He started to think about it and called a buddy & he is thinking the truck may nedd a key with the chip. Thats his only guess. I haven't had a chipped key since getting the truck 5 years ago at 64k miles and now at 230k miles it might be kicking in is odd. But that is his only guess now. I'm looking to see if this models came with chips. I know some 2004 Chryslers have chips.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:12 PM
kingr00
Amateur

What has changed in your truck that would cause it to suddenly need a key with a chip?

I am not a mechanic, but my Dad taught my that three things are required to make an engine fire: spark, fuel, and air (both in and out). If it is flooding, maybe it is not getting the required air (throttle body) or exhaust (cat).

Have you cleaned your throttle body any more than pouring B12 through your vacuum line? If you haven't, it is really not a hard or expensive task to remove and clean the throttle body. One can of carb cleaner and a $3 gasket. What about your throttle position sensor or your IAC? Also, the cat could have gotten stopped up which would not allow exhaust air.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:00 AM
tntitans21399
Professional

Originally Posted by kingr00
What has changed in your truck that would cause it to suddenly need a key with a chip?

I am not a mechanic, but my Dad taught my that three things are required to make an engine fire: spark, fuel, and air (both in and out). If it is flooding, maybe it is not getting the required air (throttle body) or exhaust (cat).

Have you cleaned your throttle body any more than pouring B12 through your vacuum line? If you haven't, it is really not a hard or expensive task to remove and clean the throttle body. One can of carb cleaner and a $3 gasket. What about your throttle position sensor or your IAC? Also, the cat could have gotten stopped up which would not allow exhaust air.
Nothing has changed that it might need a chip in the key. That's just my mechanic friend's only guess since it has the 3 things needed. I don't think the cat is bad. I haven't taken my throttle body completely off but I have sprayed carb cleaner all over inside so it should be pretty clean.

Quick Reply: Missing then cut off & now wont restart?