2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

I won't give up on her

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 07:49 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my parts came. Some of it's Borg Warner. It's what I could afford/find. All new parts tho, includes the od/tcc solenoid, governor pressure sensor, and governor solenoid.

I'm gonna do what the guy in the first video did as far as drilling a hole and installing a drain plug--just in case this stuff doesn't work, I can get back in there easily. Probably will do the mess on Friday, maybe Saturday. As far as ATF, the stuff from O'Reilly looks as good as any, it's labeled as synthetic. I'm hoping I have a reuseable gasket, like the guy in the first video. I have a new filter on hand, tho, with neoprene gaskets. (I ain't looking forward to this!)

I checked the TV cable, it seems to be working properly, doesn't look like it's adjustable like the ones on the 'net. Mine does seem to have a little slack in it. One of these days, I'm going to go to Pick a Part (or whatever it's called) and look for some--looks like there might be a market for TV cables.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 07-31-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:41 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds good! Glad you got the parts and looking to getting it done.

On the fluid I mean it's what you can afford. I put nappa in mine and i bet you whats in the bottle is the same as what's in the O' bottle.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Holy Crap! That trannie pan is a mother to get out. Obstructed by the exhaust crossover and the trannie cross member. I had to d/c the cross member to get enough clearance to drop the pan.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:17 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Yeah I can imagine.. the 97 (5.2L 4x4 at least) is simple; there is no cross member in the way; direct full access to the pan.. just have to tilt it slightly as the lip catches on the cross member but its not a big problem..

So the question remains; did you get it fixed? All done? HOws the results?

Old 08-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy

So the question remains; did you get it fixed? All done? HOws the results?

Not yet, in for a late lunch and to cool off. We're in monsoons season, temp is still in the 90's but the humidity is up in the 30-40 percent range. Plus, I work kinda slow, fairly clean, and very carefully.

I have all the electronics replaced, the TCC/OD lockup solenoid was easier than I thought--Cascade Transmissions has a nice video for that, too. The governor pressure sensor was different from both the vid's, it had a little internal clip that require pulling the gasket off that valve body and prying the clip out. The governor solenoid was a piece of cake--and it's all back up in there, waiting for the pan. And still gonna have to rastle with the crossmember stuff.

This all probably would be a lot easier if the truck was on a lift instead of ramps.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:17 PM
mattoney01
Amateur

I haven't got around to ordering the parts yet for the trans. I did put some TransX Transmission additive in it though. Since I'm not a big fan of Lucas I decided to give it a try. Surprising enough, it actually worked. No more floating between 2nd and 3rd. I know it's probably not going to be a permanent fix but it's keeping things running smoothly at this point.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Well, it's all back together. As of last night I was still getting codes. So I'm gonna have to give this some thought & figure out what my next course will be. Might end up, heaven forbid, taking it to a transmission shop. At the moment, I'm a bit discouraged and extremely tired and sore--it was not an easy task for me--the truck is designed with no consideration for anyone trying to work on it.

This morning, I did the aftermath cleanup. Pick up tools, dispose of oil and a very oily filter, and wash down the carport deck--thanks previous owner for the concrete sealer and floor coating--it does clean up nice.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:45 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

That will cause your tranny to wear faster; bc it's thickening up the fluid.. that might be helping bc its creating higher pressure so it's completing the shift.. ?

I wouldnt run it for too long. IMO.. But thats just me. Like putting heavier oil in your engine more than it can handle.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:47 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
Well, it's all back together. As of last night I was still getting codes. So I'm gonna have to give this some thought & figure out what my next course will be. Might end up, heaven forbid, taking it to a transmission shop. At the moment, I'm a bit discouraged and extremely tired and sore--it was not an easy task for me--the truck is designed with no consideration for anyone trying to work on it.

This morning, I did the aftermath cleanup. Pick up tools, dispose of oil and a very oily filter, and wash down the carport deck--thanks previous owner for the concrete sealer and floor coating--it does clean up nice.
Disconnect your battery.. for awhile or overnight.. then put back on. .and drive for about 50-80 miles.. see how she does.. check if your overdrive is working or not..

or you can just drive it 50-80 miles and see if it goes away.. but i would dc the battery first for a while reset things and then go fo ra drive.. pull fresh codes if still happening.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:56 AM
mattoney01
Amateur

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
That will cause your tranny to wear faster; bc it's thickening up the fluid.. that might be helping bc its creating higher pressure so it's completing the shift.. ?

I wouldnt run it for too long. IMO.. But thats just me. Like putting heavier oil in your engine more than it can handle.
The transx fluid isn't thick that's why I went with it instead of Lucas. I've heard nothing but horror story with Lucas because of its thickness. It stops the filter up burning the transmission up. I'm not sure how transx works because its real thin but it is helping right now. I still plan on servicing the trans pretty soon and luckily I have a company vehicle I drive the most. So I don't think it'll hurt it in the mean time.

Quick Reply: I won't give up on her