2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Update 99 5.2L Dakota Battle

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 02:19 PM
mattoney01
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update 99 5.2L Dakota Battle

Okay, for some time now I've been dealing with a stubborn Dakota. Today replaced Plenum Gasket, Plugs and Wires, Distributor Cap and Rotor Button and flushed the radiator. I started it up and drove it for a few minutes and done great. Changed the oil and filter and took it for another drive. As soon as I took off for the drive it missed for just a few seconds. It cleared up and I drove it approximately 10-15 miles with no further problems. After I eat and clean the house I'm going to take it for another drive, this time going a little farther. I'll keep you all updated but can someone tell me some other issues why it could be missing? No CEL so I'm just clueless to what the problem is. It seems to have plenty of power, just today I stomped the gas and it done a pretty good burn out lol. That wasn't my goal, just trying to test to see if it missed under heavy accel, but I was impressed with the power. I'm just ready to solve this problem for good. Thanks again for all your guys help.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:29 PM
WiCKeD 5.9L
Rookie

Doublecheck all the spark plug wire connections at the plugs and cap.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:55 PM
mattoney01
Amateur

Well went for another drive. 30 seconds after I took off it starting missing and backfiring pretty bad. I let off the gas and coasted into a shopping center. As soon as I left off the gas and pulled into the shopping center it quit missing and back firing. I took it back home and shut it off. (I live on the same street as the shopping center so it's only 200 yards there and back). Double checked the Plugs and Plug wires and they all seemed fine. Checked the oil and it looked good as well. So I started it back up and took off again. Drove it 30 or so miles and it drove fantastic. Never missed nor backfired. I drove it about 15 miles, shut it off and let it sit for 10-15 mins. Started it back up and it drove great. Seems like it only does it when I let it set awhile and the engine cools down. I'm lost... :/ Could it be a clogged up Cat converter?? Bad 02 Sensor possibly??

Old 07-28-2013, 10:20 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How clean is your throttle body? Id start by cleaning the sensors with a sensor cleaner. Im betting its the map sensor.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:10 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Try driving it a coupla days. You had the battery disconnected and did some major top end engine work. The PCM may need a few days to learn the current new parameters. It may get better all by itself.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:07 AM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine started doing this as far as the misfire and bucking while under load. Turns out it was the fuel injector number 7.

Tho, my truck told me. I can turn the key three times and tells me the codes (if any) where the odo is.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:11 AM
mattoney01
Amateur

My throttle body is kind of dirty. I wouldn't figure it would be enough to cause the problems I'm having. It's definitely worth a shot to clean it and clean the sensor's. My truck isn't throwing any codes at all. That's why I can't understand it. I would be almost relieved to see it come on, at least then I would know what's going on. I'll try to turn the key on three times in an attempt to get the CEL. If it was a bad sensor wouldn't it throw the CEL? Also, does anyone think it's a Cat Converter problem?

Old 07-29-2013, 10:16 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey dumb question.. when you did the repair did you use new o rings for the injectors? Could be sucking air.. or doing something dumb..

Old 07-29-2013, 11:31 AM
mattoney01
Amateur

No, just repaired the gasket. The gasket really wasn't that bad but needed to be repaired.

So I just went and started it after it sat overnight. It started up fine. After letting it run for maybe 2-3 minutes it really started sucking air from the driver side somewhere. It was very noticeable inside the cab and as soon as I heard it, the truck's RPM's shot down and began idling rough. I shut the truck off and restarted it. Let it run for several minutes and it idled fine. So now we know it's sucking in air from somewhere, the question is where?? :/

Old 07-29-2013, 11:52 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Originally Posted by mattoney01
No, just repaired the gasket. The gasket really wasn't that bad but needed to be repaired.

So I just went and started it after it sat overnight. It started up fine. After letting it run for maybe 2-3 minutes it really started sucking air from the driver side somewhere. It was very noticeable inside the cab and as soon as I heard it, the truck's RPM's shot down and began idling rough. I shut the truck off and restarted it. Let it run for several minutes and it idled fine. So now we know it's sucking in air from somewhere, the question is where?? :/
The o-ring sets are $1.59 for each injector--you need to buy 8. Available at O'Reilly's. I got some Saturday. I'll be cleaning my spare set of injectors today, probably. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyZnm...ature=youtu.be

Quick Reply: Update 99 5.2L Dakota Battle