2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Steering Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 06:37 AM
DK Pony
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering Shaft

My 2003 QC 4wd 4.7 has a popping noise in the front end.

I have replaced the ball joints (which were bad) and the tie rod ends. I can't seem to find any play in anything under the front end.
I found that I had what seemed like some play in the cv/inner axle on the drivers side but yesterday I took it out to a dirt parking lot and did several figure eights and hard turns in 4wd and didn't hear anything so I am just not convinced that there is anything wrong there.

I have read that the steering shaft u-joints are bad to go out on these trucks and could cause a popping noise. The only time I can get it to make the noise is in a turn and when the suspension moves. Like turning into my garage I have to turn pretty hard to the right and there is a low spot in the driveway. It will give two "pops" in a row.

What is the best way to check the steering shaft? I have tried to move it but can't really see any problem. Is there any other way to check it?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:45 AM
BlackTrim211
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your steering shaft was bad you'd notice play in the wheel. The best way to tell if it's bad or not is to un lock your wheel, and grab the shaft then shake it. If there is more play then normal then it's shot. The steering shaft won't make a popping noise.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:18 AM
DK Pony
Professional

What is "normal" play? With the wheel locked (didn't think to unlock it but I will go try in a few minutes) I can feel a click when I shake it.
When it makes the popping noise I can feel it through the wheel. Sometimes it seems like it's hard to turn, then frees up.

Ok just went and checked it. I can feel a click when twisting the steering shaft but I can't really see where the play is. The u joints aren't obviously loose.

Last edited by DK Pony; 08-09-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:26 PM
ljinnc
Rookie

The front end is popping in my 98 4x4 too. Mine is popping and felt in the steering wheel as well but seems to be popping more while on the brakes stopping and when releasing the brakes to accelerate. It will pop some during normal driving. Does yours do it worse when using brakes? I can feel a small amount of play in my steering shaft when trying to move it by hand but it is just a small amount.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:19 PM
DK Pony
Professional

Originally Posted by ljinnc
The front end is popping in my 98 4x4 too. Mine is popping and felt in the steering wheel as well but seems to be popping more while on the brakes stopping and when releasing the brakes to accelerate. It will pop some during normal driving. Does yours do it worse when using brakes? I can feel a small amount of play in my steering shaft when trying to move it by hand but it is just a small amount.
Nope. Mine really seems to be random. Sometimes it does it in a turn, sometimes when accelerating, sometimes not at all for 3 days. I don't know what's going on with it. I have found a VERY small amount of play in the right side tie rod end, and a small amount of play in the driver cv axle, but nothing that is obviously responsible for the noise.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:30 PM
ljinnc
Rookie

I went out today and had the wife rock the steering wheel while I listened underneath and did hear a pop, traced it down to the steering box, shaft was moving up & down alittle. I adjusted the steering box about 1/4 turn and I think it might be a little better but is still popping. It did remove the free play from the steering though and it drives good.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:03 PM
BlackTrim211
Rookie

if it's near your steering shaft check the universal in the steering shaft, also check the universal about half way up the steering shaft itself.

Quick Reply: Steering Shaft