2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

best performance upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 03:14 PM
AndrewRobertson
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have every bolt on you can get for the dakota 5.9. I would say the biggest gains i got came from my larger TB, GS motorsports headers, spintech true exhaust and mopar PC, cam and larger injectors.

Other parts:

Under drive pulley
msd coil
msd distributor
larger SP wires
HS drop spindels
street alt
viper eFan
1.7 HS rockers
m1 4bbl
ect, ect, ect..

In the process of finishing my 408T motor, its really the only way to go if you want to go fast and not feed off a bottle like a baby.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:15 PM
dakota5.9
Rookie

as for gears I think I will do 4.56, I don't need to go 140mph but I would like a little better off the start help.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:16 PM
dakota5.9
Rookie

Originally Posted by AndrewRobertson
I have every bolt on you can get for the dakota 5.9. I would say the biggest gains i got came from my larger TB, GS motorsports headers, spintech true exhaust and mopar PC, cam and larger injectors.

Other parts:

Under drive pulley
msd coil
msd distributor
larger SP wires
HS drop spindels
street alt
viper eFan
1.7 HS rockers
m1 4bbl
ect, ect, ect..

In the process of finishing my 408T motor, its really the only way to go if you want to go fast and not feed off a bottle like a baby.
how much $$$ you think you got in that?

Old 09-13-2013, 03:21 PM
AndrewRobertson
Amateur

the motor now i would say 4-5k, but i did all the work my self. If somebody else did my work i would assume 8k.

the new setup, motor alone 3.7k, turbo 4k, new parts, 2k. Tranny 2k. Tires 1.5k.

PS- big fan of the dakota.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:27 PM
dakota5.9
Rookie

the motor now i would say 4-5k, but i did all the work my self. If somebody else did my work i would assume 8k.

the new setup, motor alone 3.7k, turbo 4k, new parts, 2k. Tranny 2k. Tires 1.5k.

PS- big fan of the dakota.

I love my Dakota, id love it a lot better if I could fix the heating up problem.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:46 PM
AndrewRobertson
Amateur

have you placed a mechanical water temp gauge? one of your water journals might be blocked? Thermastat could be stuck wide open/shut? changed the coolant? Changed the waterpump? Efan working? are you filling up with coolant than running low on coolant, if yes then you have a internal leak that you might need a new block, usally head gaskets are the problem. You block might be cracked, do you have coolant coming from the tail pipe?

Last edited by AndrewRobertson; 09-13-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:56 PM
dakota5.9
Rookie

have you placed a mechanical water temp gauge? one of your water journals might be blocked? Thermastat could be stuck wide open/shut? changed the coolant? Changed the waterpump? Efan working? are you filling up with coolant than running low on coolant, if yes then you have a internal leak that you might need a new block, usally head gaskets are the problem. You block might be cracked, do you have coolant coming from the tail pipe?

replaced the thermostat 3 times, has a 180 in It now, no mechanical guage available, coolant has just been changed as with a new waterpump, electric fan is working, it is not using any coolant, no water in oil so I don't think its a headgasket, nothing coming out of tailpipe. im leaning towards a radiator, I heard if you run strait water it can mess them up and when it overflowed on the interstate all I had was water. I will put a new radiator in it and then I will install a big electric fan.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:16 PM
AndrewRobertson
Amateur

seems your on the right track. Sounds like it might be the radiator, might be clogged or just old lol.

i just replaced the radiator on my 90 dak, world of difference! 76$ at OR's

Old 09-19-2013, 02:39 PM
dakota5.9
Rookie

seems your on the right track. Sounds like it might be the radiator, might be clogged or just old lol.

i just replaced the radiator on my 90 dak, world of difference! 76$ at OR's
hats were i do all mybusiness at lol, hope it fixes it!

Quick Reply: best performance upgrade?