2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need help ASAP. Cam chains and timing issues.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Krowbar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help ASAP. Cam chains and timing issues.

So I blew a head gasket on my Dakota. I have been fixing it over the past few months and driving my other whip.

Today I started throwing it together. I read online that the chains have to be on a certain way? I don't see any marks on the chains. Why would the chain have to be aligned to the cam gears at all if the chain links are all the same distance?

Also, the driver's side cam pulley was able align ("V8" @ 12 O'clock) but the passenger side I had to "hold" under pressure of swinging one way because of the pressure from the lobes on the lifters. Is this normal? How do I know if I have it on right? After I put the chain on, it seemed like it was a hair off.

Any good insight would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 09-04-2013, 12:32 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Do you have a factory service manual?

You don't say but it's the 4.7.

This is what you're referring to:

Install both secondary chains onto the idler sprocket. Align two plated links on the secondary chains to be visible through the two lower openings on the idler sprocket (4 o’clock and 8 o’clock). Once the secondary timing chains are installed, position special tool 8515 to hold chains in place for installation.

Align primary chain double plated links with the timing mark at 12 o’clock on the idler sprocket. Align the primary chain single plated link with the timing mark at 6 o’clock on the crankshaft sprocket.

Quick Reply: Need help ASAP. Cam chains and timing issues.