2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

A/C clutch not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 05:39 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Yeah I meant r134. Hav not worked with r12 for a number if years but still mess up now and then.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Yeah I meant r134. Hav not worked with r12 for a number if years but still mess up now and then.
S'okay. I'm mostly self taught on the A/C stuff, and have had good results on my own stuff for about 20 years. I don't advise people to diy a/c stuff tho. It takes a minimum number of tools, some knowledge, and experience to be able to do correctly.

I kinda cringe when I see people dumping R134a into their cars in parking lots.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:35 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

A/C work is not that hard to do or understand very basic it just scares people if they don't understand how it works.

I did a complete overhaul back in 2010 removed everything compressor and all the lines and did a system flush that was my first try at it. After that my A/C was fantastic very cold my mistake was not replacing everything at that time so I got a few leaks the next year and found I had a very small crack in the high pressure return line at the Orifice Tube connection and my clutch burned up the next year.

AZ heat just beats up your A/C any weakness pops up fast.

Have my own gauge set now I just need a good pump.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:37 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 167 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
A/C work is not that hard to do or understand very basic it just scares people if they don't understand how it works.

I did a complete overhaul back in 2010 removed everything compressor and all the lines and did a system flush that was my first try at it. After that my A/C was fantastic very cold my mistake was not replacing everything at that time so I got a few leaks the next year and found I had a very small crack in the high pressure return line at the Orifice Tube connection and my clutch burned up the next year.

AZ heat just beats up your A/C any weakness pops up fast.

Have my own gauge set now I just need a good pump.
We used to have a vacuum pump, but sold it. The second mine made noise, I shut it off. Still had to replace the dryer, comp, and oriface tube, but I had a shop check it out before I touched anything.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do my own work, but I had a guy way back in the early 90's kinda mentor me on a complete ARA a/c system install on a Chevy Sprint.

In the intervening years I've collected a set of hoses, manifold, and gauges, a decent little vacuum pump, and a primitive but effective means for leak detection (hand held black light.) At this late date, I'm pushing 62, I'm not sure a sniffer is in my future. Tho, I think Harbor freight may have an inexpensive one.

Previous poster is right, AZ weather is brutal on a/c systems. And not having working a/c is not an option.

That said, I still suggest that a newbie to a/c have someone check out the system and explain stuff. Lots of small shops will mentor, while they're doing the diagnosis.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:10 PM
DK Pony
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the original poster. There are several things that need to be checked that if you dont know what you are doing can mess things up. Your system may be low but the refrigerant went somewhere.
Read up on it and if you feel that you have a good enough grasp on it you can do some troubleshooting. But if you aren't comfortable then just let a pro do it and save yourself the headache and possible extra money.
Please don't go jamming screwdrivers into things. And don't try to put more refrigerant in until you know why the clutch isn't engaging. This is high pressure stuff and nobody wants to see anyone get hurt.

Quick Reply: A/C clutch not engaging