2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Driveshaft or U joints?? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 06:20 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You can save money on the job if you R&R the driveshaft yourself. If the shop balances the driveshaft it will not matter which way you re-install it. All you have to do to remove it is remove the 4 bolts from the rear differential yoke, remove the two bolts holding in the carrier bearing, slide the driveshaft out and pull it from under the truck. The carrier bearing bolts go in from the top side of the support brace. Put a drain pan under the transmission tail piece because some fluid will come out when the driveshaft is removed. Top off the transmission fluid or manual transmission lube when you re-install the driveshaft. I saved $65.00 by removing and reinstalling the driveshaft myself.

Edit.. I see you have a 4 wheel drive, I don't know if the procedure is the same, mine is a 2 wheel drive. It can't be too hard to get the driveshaft out of either one I guess. Sorry about that.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 09-29-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft or U joints?? HELP!