2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

No Start Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 04:31 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

my PCM just right out quit while sitting at a sonic idling- it just shut off and would stumble and kinda fire then die and never get to idle speed.

Can you hear the fuel pump prime, is there fuel pressure at the fuel rail? Test port is at the firewall end of the driver side rail.

Take a volt meter, is there 5 volts between the 2 end wires on the TPS sensor? (It's the easiest to measure at). I remember one post, a guy's PCM had the 5 volt circuit die, and he used a 7805 to externally resurrect the circuit.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:06 PM
djhandy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just checked the TPS and I have 5.10 volts at the two wires. Fuel pump is running. I removed the quick disconnect and it shoots fine. Fuel pump tester had no adapter for it.
Does that mean PCM is good? Next suggestion? I asked daughter again exactly what happen and this is what she said " I remember all the gauges failing, pulling over to the side of the road, the burnt plastic smell, and white smoke (it was dark) coming from the headlights. "

Old 10-21-2013, 05:37 PM
magnethead
Legend

gauges failing, burnt plastic, and white smoke from up front?

Check the oil, coolant, wiring harnesses, and radiator fan connection. Sounds to me like it overheated (white smoke) possibly due to a melted fan connector (burnt plastic) thus killing the fan.

Not the best hopes, but that's my 2 pennies.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:15 PM
djhandy

That would be a No to all above, it did not overheat and did not have time for that she was about 4 miles from house and it has a clutch fan and new WP and Thermostat less 3 mths old. It quit by what she said the same a fuel pump gone without the smoke and that could've been the rain and no smoke. But it is good, next?

Old 10-21-2013, 06:48 PM
gnelson49
Professional

Originally Posted by djhandy
That would be a No to all above, it did not overheat and did not have time for that she was about 4 miles from house and it has a clutch fan and new WP and Thermostat less 3 mths old. It quit by what she said the same a fuel pump gone without the smoke and that could've been the rain and no smoke. But it is good, next?
Did you check the oil and coolant to make sure you don't have a cracked block? It could have overheated prior to this and was still operational... just a thought?

How does it look inside the throttle body? Have you checked the Idle Air Control Valve on the back of the throttle body? It could be completely extended thus cutting off all airflow to the motor? These can get gummed up and stuck. I wouldn't think it would cause you to stall out like it did, but you never know?

I take it you can crank it over ok, but it just won't start?

Old 10-21-2013, 07:05 PM
magnethead
Legend

wait, it was raining when it quit?

That can change a few things.

The burning plastic is a smell I know too well. I would be looking for a burned connector or perhaps a burned wire loom somewhere/somehow. If it was raining, it's very possible that something may have shorted.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:09 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Those missing details sure would have helped in the beginning!

Quick Reply: No Start Dakota