2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Rear Driver Blinker Not Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 06:02 PM
RebelScum11
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Driver Blinker Not Lighting

Hey ladies and gents,

Just bought an '02 Dakota, Everything seems great. Previous owner did all scheduled service up to 125,000 miles and it's at 150,000 right now. Small problem I'm having with it though, my Rear driver flasher is very intermittent. I've changed the bulb and that did not fix it, I've checked the connection in the bulb clip, and that seems to be clean and corrosion free, as do the pins on the end of the wiring harness. *Sometimes* punching the tail light assembly will make it work, but again, that is intermittent as well. Has anyone else encountered this or something similar?

Update:: Also my rear driver brake light is not lighting either. Again, I have changed my bulbs and no change.

Thanks,
RebelScum

Last edited by RebelScum11; 10-23-2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: EDIT::UPDATE
Old 10-23-2013, 07:26 PM
RebelScum11

Update::

I believe it is the Combo Flasher as has been mentioned on this forum before. I've pulled it and one pin was very heavily corroded. Does the Combo Flasher also control the brake lights, or are those on a separate circuit?

Old 10-26-2013, 05:28 PM
RebelScum11

UPDATE:

I need to ask a favor of somebody with the second gen Dakota and stock combo flasher.

I purchased 2 flashers over the course of the last three days, and although that solved my blinker problem it opened a whole new can of worms.

If somebody could be so kind as to pull their stock combo flasher and check for continuity between pins A1 and B5 on the relay itself.

Pin A1 ties to the black wire on the back of the socket, this is the always hot line from the PDC. Pin B5 is tied to the OUTPUT of the break light switch and also internally linked to A1 on the flashers I purchased.

I believe this is incorrect, and I hoping somebody could either confirm or shoot down my suspicions.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated, I'm trying to save myself $105.64 by not ordering the part directly from Dodge/Chrysler just to run such a simple test on it.

Thanks again,
RebelScum

Old 10-28-2013, 01:53 PM
RebelScum11

FINAL UPDATE::

Got it all sorted out. Both the relay's I purchased from NAPA and O'Reilly's are wired incorrectly. If you have this issue please make sure you purchase OEM parts only (Got mine from a wrecking yard) Fixed it immediately!

Old 10-28-2013, 04:52 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for the update rebel.

Quick Reply: Rear Driver Blinker Not Lighting