2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

High altitude operation ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
actually, that wouldn't be a bad idea, like a 50 shot or less. I have a methanol injector inside a TB spacer for racing.
Aw, shucks!

Old 10-28-2013, 04:50 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

The PCM will adjust the mixture as you climb/descend. That's part of what the O2 sensors do - maintain the proper fuel ratio.

It's also not just how much oxygen is in the air. It's how well it gets into the engine.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Blacknights
Veteran
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
Not a bad idea, but even better would to set it up for O2 injection right at the throttle body--use compressed 100% oxygen instead of compressed air. Easy plumbing I would think, one could just run a bit of tubing to the top of the air cleaner, and have the o2 bottle on the seat in the truck. When you needed a little o2 boost, reach over and turn the valve on the tank.
I'd use compressed air over O2, is it is cheaper. It costs as much as it does to run a compressor.

Last edited by Blacknights; 10-28-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Originally Posted by Blacknights
Only reason I'd use compressed air over O2, is it is cheaper. It costs as much as it does to run a compressor.
Ah, but air is only 21% oxygen. And bottle oxygen is a lot closer to 100%. And we're not talking about using a lot of o2, just as necessary when going up steep hills at high altitude.

You are probably right about the differences in cost, tho. Using a home compressor wouldn't put much air into a scuba tank--even if you could get it to pump up to 150 psi. Also using a home compressor for a scuba tank would probably ruin the tank for any scuba use (nasty contaminants.)

Old 10-28-2013, 10:24 PM
Blacknights
Veteran
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
Ah, but air is only 21% oxygen. And bottle oxygen is a lot closer to 100%. And we're not talking about using a lot of o2, just as necessary when going up steep hills at high altitude.

You are probably right about the differences in cost, tho. Using a home compressor wouldn't put much air into a scuba tank--even if you could get it to pump up to 150 psi. Also using a home compressor for a scuba tank would probably ruin the tank for any scuba use (nasty contaminants.)
That's why I recommended a dive shop. He/she is in Hawaii, which has a lot of them and they normally have inhouse 3,000 psi compressors (other viable location: paintball arenas). That can fill the tanks for pennies on the dollar.

My biggest problem with pure O2 is that it is a fire hazard. Legally speaking you'd could have to carry warning diamonds.

Last edited by Blacknights; 10-29-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:45 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 167 Likes on 153 Posts

can't you use CO2 as well?

Either way, injecting air alone does nothing. You need to inject a fuel to go with it, be it pump gas or methanol.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:43 PM
1voyager1
Rookie

OK, now it's getting interesting.
The only problem is that this Dak is my every day-do all sled. I will not be making frequent trips up the mountain. I don't see me making any major mods to be able to operate at sea-level power levels while going up the mountain.
Now with that said, the only way compressed air will make a difference is if a turbo or supercharger type of addition is used. A bottle being bled into the manifold will not raise the O-2 partial pressure, but an O-2 tank would. I don't see me adding the plumbing to do so. I'm not familiar with nitrous, but unless it provides its own supply of O-2 going into the cyls, or it is supercharged, it should not make much of a difference.
In doing a bit of reading about driving to the top of Mauna Kea I think I've found the best way.
I have 4wd, so put it into 4-low, then kick back and cruise.
That is the official recommendation given to the general public by the official sources.
Why didn't I think of that?

As an after thought:
While coming back down the mountain I passed several tour buses that were going up with loads of tourists to watch the sunset.
I could hear a big beefy turbo/supercharger howling as they went by.
That seems to be the standard way of dealing with the problem if you're building for it.

Plus, on a bright sunny day it wouldn't take long to get badly sunburned at that altitude.

Last edited by 1voyager1; 10-29-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:15 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Originally Posted by magnethead
can't you use CO2 as well?

Either way, injecting air alone does nothing. You need to inject a fuel to go with it, be it pump gas or methanol.

CO2 is what's in fire extinguishers.

The threshhold for DOT hazmat placards is pretty high. If placarding were required for anyone carrying o2 all those old folks and people with oxygen cannulas would have to have them.

Quick Reply: High altitude operation ???