2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Emergency Lights, volunteer fire/ems/police use

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:51 AM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a light and siren controller for about $150.00:

Whelen 295HFS4

Old 11-21-2013, 10:16 PM
rob_dobbs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom has it nailed down. Its damn near the same package we use for picture vehicles especially the plain govt looking vehicles in tv/film. However for fire vehicles we never use blue, just red. If you want to really cheap out you can get flasher units off ebay for cheap. They are a basic pair of led panels with a controller for various flashing patterns and constant on. They mount anywhere and are small in size so if you wanted to add a pair into the actual grill area and rear bumper its possible. When wiring though I highly suggest doing so in a reversible manner. All too many times people wire in a rush leaving faulty grounds and unprotected wires or cut right into the factory harness with little to no thought. This is what leads to future electrical problems. Not sure if your old enough to recall trying to install a stereo into a 60's era muscle car but it could get interesting at times due to the hack jobs done prior.

If its something your going to use and stick with, pony up a few dollars and do it right. Definitely stick with LED lighting though. Being a former fire fighter myself dont forget a bug out bag and road safety measures. A little trick is always carry a can of barbasol foam shaving cream. As crazy as it sounds its great for getting hands clean. When that time comes and your covered in chemicals, youll thank me for the tip.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:52 AM
n9uom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Blacknights
sxrsil3nt, yes we can. There are rules to usage and what colors we can have, red, blue or both. Green are very expensive, and we are volunteering to do this, so my state gives us the cheap option. But impersonating an officer is a felony, so I can't use them to pull over a friend as a joke. It's okay, I think it would be cool too

Magnethead, what's a headache rack? As for yellows, those are used for construction/maintenance and traffic crews. Blue is reserved for all first responders and red is specifically reserved for fire personnel only.

General plan (what I was thinking):
1)100 watt siren mount in the gap down by the fog lights
2) 2 LEDs in the grille
3) 2- small LED bars (2 lights a bar) on the top of the windshield
3a) same set up just on the rear glass as well
4) 2 LEDs in between the tail gate and rear bumper
5) 1 strobe or LED on each corner of the truck

It isn't cheap, so I was wanting to wire the whole thing up myself. I'm wondering how to wire it up and if anyone knows cheap places to order from or any other designs?

As a Police Officer in the Great State of Wisconsin, I suggest you DO NOT use ANY combination of lights that uses the BLUE Color, and yes, it is a felony to impersonate an officer, Wisc. Stat. 347.25(4) states “No vehicle may be equipped with or display any blue colored light or lamp unless the vehicle is used in police work authorized by the state or a political subdivision of the state.” So, if I understand correctly you will be doing volunteer work with an EMS/FD Depts.(I think that is great) and with that said, I would use a all Red, Red/White or Red/Yellow or even a Red/Green Combo, Please .. Please stay away from the blue. BTW, the Green here in Wisc. Represents a Command Post for Fire. My son is an EMT/Paramedic and on his truck, (he has a F150), we wired up a 30” Red/White Under Cover Vizor UV30 split LED light bar for his front window & a Red/White Under Cover Vizor UV60 for his back window, all are hard wired into some switch boxes. It is not hare to do, take your time running wire, good luck.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:19 AM
Blacknights
Veteran
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by n9uom
As a Police Officer in the Great State of Wisconsin, I suggest you DO NOT use ANY combination of lights that uses the BLUE Color, and yes, it is a felony to impersonate an officer, Wisc. Stat. 347.25(4) states “No vehicle may be equipped with or display any blue colored light or lamp unless the vehicle is used in police work authorized by the state or a political subdivision of the state.” So, if I understand correctly you will be doing volunteer work with an EMS/FD Depts.(I think that is great) and with that said, I would use a all Red, Red/White or Red/Yellow or even a Red/Green Combo, Please .. Please stay away from the blue. BTW, the Green here in Wisc. Represents a Command Post for Fire. My son is an EMT/Paramedic and on his truck, (he has a F150), we wired up a 30” Red/White Under Cover Vizor UV30 split LED light bar for his front window & a Red/White Under Cover Vizor UV60 for his back window, all are hard wired into some switch boxes. It is not hare to do, take your time running wire, good luck.

Okay, thank you. I like the idea of red/white more then red/blue. I've found that light color rules vary state to state. I still have at longest 6 months of probie work before I can mount lights. Also thank you for the support, I got accepted to my fire districit, now I am waiting for final review by the council. My probie work starts mid Janurary pending council approval.

Quick Reply: Emergency Lights, volunteer fire/ems/police use