2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 Fuel pump regulator grommet

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 03:46 PM
mkmmkm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Fuel pump regulator grommet

Hi, I have a 2002 quad cab Dakota. I recently started smelling gas when I have a full tank. I looked underneath it and found some gas had wet the side of the tank down from the pump area. I am thinking that the fuel is leaking where the pressure regulator pushes through the grommet because when I reach up there the regulator seems to move/turn easier than I would think it should. When using an inspection camera it appears to have traces of dry fuel on the regulator. I also am getting the codes for a emmisions leak in the fuel system. The question is... Does anyone know where to get that grommet or have had similar issue? I tried the dealership and they don't have a seperate listing. The local auto parts places were also a no-go. It appears to only come with a new regulator for +$100.... That's an expensive little grommet! Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:30 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 167 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by mkmmkm
Hi, I have a 2002 quad cab Dakota. I recently started smelling gas when I have a full tank. I looked underneath it and found some gas had wet the side of the tank down from the pump area. I am thinking that the fuel is leaking where the pressure regulator pushes through the grommet because when I reach up there the regulator seems to move/turn easier than I would think it should. When using an inspection camera it appears to have traces of dry fuel on the regulator. I also am getting the codes for a emmisions leak in the fuel system. The question is... Does anyone know where to get that grommet or have had similar issue? I tried the dealership and they don't have a seperate listing. The local auto parts places were also a no-go. It appears to only come with a new regulator for +$100.... That's an expensive little grommet! Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
yep, the whole sending unit and fuel pump is one giant effing expensive part.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:21 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Local pick and pull?

Make your own grommet? Not sure what the specific one you're talking about looks like, but I've jimmy rigged a grommet in my engine bay when I wired my amp... took a thick piece of rubber, cut it to size and then used a dremel to dig out the center and edges so it fits snuggly.

Because its emission related I don't know if my broke *** method would work but its a
suggestion!

Quick Reply: 2002 Fuel pump regulator grommet