2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Starter went bad while on a trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 12:22 AM
ryunk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter went bad while on a trip

The starter quit on me the other morning without warning.

I was limited on resources since I was on a trip I did have a few socket sets and wrench sets and other odds and ends in the toolbox so I dug into it on a "cold" concrete garage floor.

I had much trouble getting the top bolt free so I contemplated the cost of hiring it done. I decided to continue on. I made a trip to Lowes (thanks to good people lending me a hand) to get a stubby 5/8" wrench and a funny looking 3/8 drive ratchet that changes the head configuration (it came in handy).

I used a short sledge hammer (pushing up through the gap beside the frame) to pound on the stubby wrench with no luck. While thinking I am too old for this, I figured my last hope was heat. I had a propane torch so I lit it up and heated the back end of the bolt through the bell housing hole real good and then I started pounding the stubby wrench again. YES!!!! It slowly came loose. What a good feeling. From there it was straight forward.

A bit unorthodox, yes, but I was able to get the job done. I figure some of this information may (or may not) help somebody in a similar pinch.

PS I put in a Duralast Reman unit.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:33 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

On a trip out of town makes it difficult but I always look at it like I would rather buy $100 worth of tools than pay some shop $100 to do the job even if I already have the tools at home.

Age is a factor though thank God I'm still able to work on my Dakota.

What engine?

Old 01-08-2014, 08:08 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

What, no pics along the way??? (JK)

Old 01-08-2014, 08:47 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have heard that top bolt is very hard to get to, much less to remove. It's even worse if something like that happens away from home without tools. I carry a bag of basic tools and a cheap 3/8 and 1/4 inch socket set in my truck but would hate to tackle my starter on the road..glad you got yours done.

Jimmy

Old 01-08-2014, 09:29 AM
ryunk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ

What engine?

4.7L V8

It would have been easier but the 4WD system took up some room around that starter.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:40 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know about the 4.7 but on the 3.9 it really isn't that difficult.

I've had mine out 3-4 times this year. I actually think I found it easiest to lie flat on my back underneath and reach up.

But I agree whenever you gotta do work outside your home/garage its a real pain.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:05 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by sxrsil3nt
I dont know about the 4.7 but on the 3.9 it really isn't that difficult.

I've had mine out 3-4 times this year. I actually think I found it easiest to lie flat on my back underneath and reach up.

But I agree whenever you gotta do work outside your home/garage its a real pain.
i can have mine off in 5 minutes or so. the 4.7 must be significantly different.

Quick Reply: Starter went bad while on a trip