2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001 Dakota 4X4 towed behind RV

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 09:25 AM
mbizzal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dakota 4X4 towed behind RV

I am looking at buying a 2001 Dakota 4X4 auto v8. It has very low miles and looks in great shape. (have not driven yet).
The truck is a one owner and has been pulled behind an RV.
My question is. Is this hard on the truck?
I have read that it is bad on the trans as the fluid is not being pumped through the radiator and being cooled.
If done correctly is it OK? 4wd in N and auto in N .
Thanks in advanced.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:57 AM
Blacknights
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey, I hope this helps. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/showthr...1826&styleid=5. Despite the fact the discussion isnt on a dakota, it is just as applicable. There are specific vehicles that are designed to be towed behind. Example is my Dad's VW passat comes from the manufacturer saying you can tow it, its in the manual. Not a dealership saying you'll be fine. Personally I will never be towing my Dak behind one of these RVs.

Last edited by Blacknights; 01-09-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:05 AM
ibcnul8r
Professional

I have a 2001 Dakota XLT 4X4. This also has the full time all wheel drive. Mine was also towed behind an RV prior to me buying it. For this specific year and make with the full time AWD, there are specific instructions in the Owners Manual on what you need to do to disengage the transfer case for the rear and front drive axels. I think it's also on the visor (drivers side). But don't quote me on that part.

In my opinion, if it was bad for your truck, the makers would tell you NOT to tow it.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:41 PM
mbizzal

It is AWD and I would assume that the truck would not tow, unless the transfer case was disengaged. Otherwise I would assume that the tires would be squealing driving down the road. And the truck would have broke before now.
What about the mileage? With it being digital I would assume that it would not count the miles on the OD. It would only count it with the engine running?
Thanks for the replies.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:54 PM
Dakota~N~Camaro
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will not hurt it, nor will it "rack up" miles towing all 4 wheels down with the transfer case in "N"

Old 01-09-2014, 07:28 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Even tho its awd you can still put the transfer case in neutral

Old 01-10-2014, 08:16 AM
mbizzal

So if done correctly the OD will not rack up miles? That means if the truck has 89,000 miles. It could have an extra 50,000 pulled behind the RV?
That makes me a little nervous. Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:53 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats what you run the risk of. Truck might only have x amount of miles but the drive line could have two times that amount.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:29 PM
Dakota~N~Camaro
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not much wear at all 4 wheels down, free wheeling is a lot less stressful than under power. If they were not full time RVers they prob only put about 5000 on there Motorhome a year, not all of that could of included towing the truck, even full timers tend to only do about 10000 a year as most stay in one place for extended periods.

That being said, even those who rack up 100k + in "toad" miles seem to have no adverse affect on it and the vehicle tends to be in condition of the driven miles. Sometimes steering parts would show the all around miles, but with rack and pinion there is less to wear out, but still keep in mind the end links.

A good thing to do ( and this goes with anything used) is to change ALL fluids.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dakota 4X4 towed behind RV