2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Broken torsion bar removal tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 12:18 AM
mikez104
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken torsion bar removal tips

Hi all. My left torsion bar broke and I'm having a hell of a time removing the broken piece from the lower control arm. Is there a pin or clip that may be holding it from sliding around? Any tips? I've been beating the hell out of it with a small sledge and I don't think it has moved.

Thanks
Mike

Old 01-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Heat?

I had the same problem with mine way back when I installed an IFS lift on it. I never did get it out. I ended up removing and re-installing the control arm with the torsion bar still in it. Maybe if you remove the control arm, it can be pressed out?

Old 01-11-2014, 09:37 AM
mikez104
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I thought about heat and wasn't sure if I should. I didn't want to soften up anything I shouldn't since it was in the front end. I ended up going a similar route as you. I ordered a new lower control arm from Rock auto. The bushings are in poor shape and I'm sure the ball joint is tired after 12 years so for $100, I think I made a good choice. And I'm sure the new one won't have a piece of torsion bar stuck in it!

Old 01-11-2014, 11:27 AM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For a hundred bucks, that's pretty much a no-brainer. I probably would have replaced both of them.

Quick Reply: Broken torsion bar removal tips