2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Add A Leaf Lift????

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 02:19 AM
EricBing
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Add A Leaf Lift????

Thinkin of slaapin this on My 4 x 4 want to know how involved a project it is and for the sake of askin this spring goes above or below my current leaf?? and the bolt is longer, would i need new shackes and u bolts?? heres a lionnk from e bay id it'll clarify anything lookin for a lil advice thanks all http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-2004-Dodge-Dakota-4wd-4x4-3-Add-A-Leaf-Lift-Leveling-Kit-TOWING-CAPACITY-/170928905545?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ADakota%7CYear%3A2002&hash=item27cc281d49&vxp=mtr

Old 02-08-2014, 09:37 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok.
ADD A LEAF is just that.
Pull your stock spring pack apart and ADD they're stiff stiff stiff leaf into it and bolt it all back together and install.

Now you have a lifted rear that rides like a brick. Real nice.

Now, they give you REINDEXING KEYS for the front torsion bars. Wow.
What a load of crap.
You could remove your keys and install there's and crank the bolt till your level OR you could just crank your own stock keys till your truck is level.
Either way you can only crank till the suspension is on the rubber stops.

Your choice of if you want to lift the front free or pay for what you already have.

Rear, really, 2"?
Just block it. Cheap and even free if you look around.
2" block will do nothing to your ride qualities and other than a little taller youwwon't even know its there.

They sell such crap to unsuspecting people. I gotta get into this business.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:47 AM
EricBing
Professional

dont know if you can see it from pics, but my rear is saggin lol i want this to bring it up ..i think prev owner did already crank the torsion keys some maybe they need a lil more muahaha

Old 02-08-2014, 11:33 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, instead of a bandaid on worn out springs, get new spring packs.
Or good used ones.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:16 PM
EricBing
Professional

Any recommendations on a good distributor?? The thought did crosses my mind but all the ones I run across r awful expensive

Old 02-08-2014, 12:20 PM
TheNewbie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, add a leaf is pretty much pointless for most applications. Block lift or shackles would be a better option. The only real advantage to an add a leaf would be if you WANTED a stiffer ride. You might be bale to haul a bit more weight in the bed with them, but like RDuck said, it would then ride like a brick.

If the springs are worn that badly then replacements would be my first choice as well. Junkyard springs and a block lift would probably be a good choice for ride quality vs. cost. Or you could spend some money on lift springs, but these trucks can really only be lifted a couple inches or so. You could easily lift the rear more than that, but you couldn't get the front to match without some high dollar parts.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Blacknights
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd say get new/good condition used leafs to restore it. I have over a 1/4 mil miles on mine and they don't sag but they don't support loads as well as they one could have. I for $90 I bought supersprings and installed them myself. So I solved my problem that way. It is actually nice, the front rides comfortable even with the bars cranked up while my rear is more stiff like a truck.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RDuck
Ok.
ADD A LEAF is just that.
Pull your stock spring pack apart and ADD they're stiff stiff stiff leaf into it and bolt it all back together and install.

Now you have a lifted rear that rides like a brick. Real nice.

Now, they give you REINDEXING KEYS for the front torsion bars. Wow.
What a load of crap.
You could remove your keys and install there's and crank the bolt till your level OR you could just crank your own stock keys till your truck is level.
Either way you can only crank till the suspension is on the rubber stops.

Your choice of if you want to lift the front free or pay for what you already have.

Rear, really, 2"?
Just block it. Cheap and even free if you look around.
2" block will do nothing to your ride qualities and other than a little taller youwwon't even know its there.

They sell such crap to unsuspecting people. I gotta get into this business.
I agree with everything you said, except the part in red.

Your stock keys may give you enough adjustment for free, but chances are you'll run out of threads on the adjuster bolt before you hit the rubber stops (not that you actually want to adjust it that far, anyway).

My advice would be to try with your stock keys, then buy the re-indexed ones if you need them.

If you want to buy new springs, General Spring has a choice of a couple of different rates, and the prices are pretty reasonable.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:49 PM
EricBing
Professional

Thank you all for the input it helped alot will keep posted, and Tom General has the lowest prices and a few options for our trucks thanks again, now i have to wait for the mountains of snow to melt

Old 02-11-2014, 08:32 AM
EricBing
Professional

BlackKnights ....did u get any lift out of the supersprings??

Quick Reply: Add A Leaf Lift????