2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 12:26 PM
OT6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem

I have an 02 Dodge Dakota 4.7l that is having an electrical issue with all the lights, interior and exterior. The lights all go out for a split second and then come back on. They do this repeatedly. I can hear the relays clicking and have checked them and all fuses and they are good. Someone said it's the PCM and somebody said BCM. One guy told me that my truck doesn't have a BCM. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

Old 02-21-2014, 03:23 PM
Robbadodge
Veteran

Our trucks have a TCM, Timing Control Module (aka back in the day, Body Control Module). Replacing the TCM may be the quickest way to solve your issues, as it is typically the correct course of action (based on your symptoms).

The TCM also controls your electric windows and door locks. It can also cause many other items you didn't list.

Good luck!

Edit: or maybe it's called the CTM...... same difference ;-)

Last edited by Robbadodge; 02-21-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:28 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

It's CTM, Central Timer Module, and it does control all your lights. It's under the kick panel on the drivers side. Make sure all the grounds are clean and tight for starters.

It does not control the windows. It does do the locks.

Last edited by 00DakDan; 02-21-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:25 PM
Robbadodge
Veteran

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
It does not control the windows. It does do the locks.
Hmmm. Just a coincidence mine got flaky after the CTM was replaced. I merely assumed.... wrong. Off to check out an alternative for the passenger window only working "sometimes". Sorry for taking up space in this thread, but I've got something to chase down now.

Quick Reply: Electrical problem