2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Central Timer Module

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 06:44 PM
littlereddakota
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Central Timer Module

2001 Dodge Dakota Sport 3.9L auto trans 2WD standard cab short bed

There are no chimes when:
1) key in ignition-ignition off-driver's door open
2) headlights on- engine off
3) engine started-driver's seatbelt unfastened

Basically, I have no chimes for anything.

Also, no interior lights will illuminate when the driver's door is opened. The interior lights WILL illuminate when the passenger's door is opened and they will time out after the door is closed.
The interior lights can still be turned on by way of the dash lights dimmer thumb wheel.

If the module is bad, I do have the mechanical apptitude to change it. Is this a fix that can be done by a do-it-yourselfer? I'd only have a problem if the module required programming because I don't own a DRBIII scan tool nor do I have access to one. (If I could afford a DRBIII, I'd just use that money to buy a different truck!)

Since the module still works correctly for the passenger side door, I was wondering if maybe I had a ground problem for the driver's side. (Can a module "partially" go bad?)

From what I see, just about everything for troubleshooting the module involves the use of a DRBIII. I'm trying to fix this on a strict budget. My little red Dakota, so far, is turning into my little red money pit. The truck never has run right since I bought it a couple years ago...but that's a subject to discuss at another time.

So far, I've put more money into this truck than what the truck is worth.
If anybody can give me any suggestions on how I can fix this problem, your help and time will be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:54 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Did you check for a bad door switch on the drivers door? If the interior lights don't come on when it is opened that is a more likely failure than the CTM.

It's part of the latch assembly.

That could be part of the key in and headlight chime. Not sure about the seat belt reminder but it would be a different circuit in the CTM.

Last edited by 00DakDan; 03-28-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:02 PM
littlereddakota
Amateur

The switch on the latch assembly was the first thing I thought of. It tested OK.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:09 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Disconnect connector 2 from the CTM. On the harness side, pin 15, observe continuity to ground as you open and close the door. This will check the circuit from the latch assembly.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CTM c-2.JPG (11.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-30-2014, 04:26 PM
littlereddakota
Amateur

I checked continuity from pin 15 on connector C2 to ground with the door opened and closed. The circuit checked out as OK.

Correction to my original post.... I do have chimes when I turn the key to the "on" position while the warning indicator lights go through their check. But that's the ONLY time I get chimes for anything.

And just on a whim, I checked for any bad fuses. All fuses looked good.

Last edited by littlereddakota; 03-30-2014 at 04:28 PM. Reason: added information
Old 03-30-2014, 04:35 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

There are two grounds for the CTM, G207 and G208. If those check out then it is likely a CTM problem.

G207 is located near the the airbag control module, on the right hand side of the module.
G208 is located near the CTM. Follow the harness for C1 until it "splits." The split leads to the ground location.

If you do replace the CTM with one from a boneyard you need to make sure it is for the same year and options as your truck. You will need to get the RKE reprogrammed.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:14 AM
littlereddakota
Amateur

I checked both of the grounds and found that they were as clean and tight as the day the truck was manufactured. No corrosion whatsoever. Looks like I'll be checking out a new CTM soon. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:00 PM
DakCC4x4
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive got a CTM for an 04 Dak CC 4wd if it will work.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:53 PM
littlereddakota
Amateur

Originally Posted by DakCC4x4
Ive got a CTM for an 04 Dak CC 4wd if it will work.

My Dakota is pretty much a base model without power windows, power door locks or keyless entry. Unless the module is set up like that, I'm afraid it might not work. Would a module that's programmed for those options work in a truck that doesn't have the options?

Quick Reply: Central Timer Module