2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Parking brake release lever.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 08:35 PM
chocolatejeebus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake release lever.

2004 Dakota, manual trans, 3.7L V6 2WD. Hi everybody, here's the problem - When I pull the release lever for the parking brake, the pedal pops up a little but does not fully disengage, the light continues to flash. Can anyone tell me the specific part I need to replace and a quick description of how to so? Thanks for your time.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:35 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Pull it the rest of the way up while holding on the handle.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:04 AM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya I agree just lift the pedal up with your foot while you release it. Not really anything to replace they just do that. It could be binding up somewhere weak spring a little rust on the cable etc. Even if you replace everything it probably still won't pop up high enough to shut the light off every single time.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:40 PM
Robbadodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chocolatejeebus
Can anyone tell me the specific part I need to replace and a quick description of how to so?
Seems to me it's a spring malfunction(?). If it released a little but not all the way, hence, the suggestions to lift it with your foot.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:30 PM
bigclubs
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spray the e-brake assembly with some pb blaster, rust will make the lever not dissengage and stick. I've hade one in the shop I failed for inspection bacause I could not push the peddle down at all. The next morning the brake guys sprayed the assembly with penatration oil, let it sit for a while and it worked ok. They were going to replace the unit, but tried spraying it first.

Quick Reply: Parking brake release lever.