2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

'02 Dakota front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:36 PM
Timberdust
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 Dakota front bumper

So, first timer, but got a quick question I'm confident somebody can help me with. The other day I clipped my neighbors front bumper on his '02 Dakota, put a small dimple in it (I mean SMALL). But anyway, I did the right thing...let him know and told him I'd make it right. So he got the customary 2 quotes... looks like I'll be out $525. But I told him I'd get a new bumper for him and do the install. He's resisting, but I think I got him co-operating. It looks to me like a simple maneuver. 8 bolts, 4 REALLY easy and 4 easy. Then it's off with bumper, replace the cowling old to new and back on. But since he's gonna be standing there waiting for me to screw-up and waiting to say I told you so, I wanted to make sure I don't run into any surprises. Is it as easy as it looks? Any tips? I hesitate to say it, but considering all circumstances that I won't take the time to explain, he's kind of being a ditz and all I want to do is make it right and save myself a buck or two. If it was my truck bumper, I'd sincerely be like "no prob, Dude. It's just another little scratch on my ole' truck bumper" and move on... Any advice?

Old 04-23-2014, 09:53 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

If his has the side impact braces, then yes, 8 bolts. Otherwise if it's like mine, only the 4 top ones. You'll want to pull straight out. I can have my bumper off in 2 minutes not including fetching the ratchet, extension, and socket. I know because I've done it. Consider I also have 4 fog lights in the bumper.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:35 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4 bolts for mine aswell.

Accessible right after you lift the hood and look down.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:36 AM
Vladek
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad to know that there is still someone out there with morals... sucks that he will be standing on your shoulders through out the whole deal.

depending on what is available to you. you might have the whole matching the paint problem or cost i should say. i would look through a salvage yard for ****s and grins to see how lucky you could get.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:35 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

$525 that's kind of high.

The bumper from most places cost around $100 not too long ago you could get them way cheaper for only $30 they jumped way up in price.

Chrome is more I'm talking black

Beware though this guy will probably expect a perfect job and its harder to get a perfect fit especially if the mounting brackets are bent even a little.

The mounting brackets are more $$$

It is easy to do not hard at all

Old 04-24-2014, 10:41 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

I snagged my bumper for $125 from junkyard. Be ware that if you have it painted, it WILL flake off in about 1.5 or so years unless you have a professional do it (NOT maaco) that knows how to paint-etch plastic parts. Maaco will just spray it on and call it good, im sure other places be the same. Also if he has fog lights, expect to have issues getting them to bolt up if it's a generic bumper. the fog light mounts changed between pre-99 and post-00, I learned that the hard way.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:46 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Probably too late now, but I'd have offered him some cash. With such a minor ding, he'd probably pocket it and never fix the truck.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:49 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

ask the local auto shop what they can get it for call around

Quick Reply: '02 Dakota front bumper