2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dropped Rocker Arm- Rotate Crank?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 03:48 PM
Arcbc30
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropped Rocker Arm- Rotate Crank?

guys, First of all I am Brian and I am new to this site. Thanks in advance for your time and help. My beloved 2002 4.7L Dakota crew cab dropped rocker arm and I am in the middle of fixing it. I have gotten down to it but I have a very rudimentary question.
What is the best way to to rotate the cam shaft so that i can install the rocker arm. I assume I need to rotate the crank pully but it looks like i may have to remove the radiator to get to it- I do not want to do that.
any suggestions would be much. much appreciated. I am hoping someone who has done this before can tell me how they accomplished it. Thanks for the help!

Old 06-16-2014, 07:21 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

How much do you need to move it? Pull the ASD relay and give it a quick blip with the starter. Or, how about a ratchet with a socket on the crank pulley?

Old 06-17-2014, 08:45 PM
Arcbc30
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input Dan. What I ended up having to do was remove the fan. Once I got that out of the way I was able rotate the crank with a 21 mm socket. With the fan in place i was unable to contort enough to get to the crank pulley, some might be able to do it without removing the fan, but I could'nt.
Thanks again

Quick Reply: Dropped Rocker Arm- Rotate Crank?