2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Any AC Guys on here? Needs some help

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 09:18 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

Ok here are my recommendations if the system is old and has never had anything major done to it.

First an explanation

Everything is OLD the seals the Schrader valves the oil so on So to get a good solid system back the best thing is replace as much parts as you can.

All new seals new Schrader valves high and low side new orifice tube a system flush if you can drain all the old oil out of the system a new drier/accumulator and the big one if needed the compressor.

To drain the old oil from the compressor you will need to remove it turn it upside down and it will drain this will not get it all but most will drain out.

Caution never try to flush out the compressor this will damage it only drain it.

Think that way and things will be good try a patch job and you will be back tearing it apart next year remember everything is old.

Most of these parts are cheap small parts it’s not expensive replacing as much as you can let a shop remove the R-134a for you and then recharge it after you finish replacing everything that’s the expensive part.

Just be sure it’s all sealed up good so you don’t get a leak a leak test should be done before you pump R-134a in the system or have a shop do the vacuum leak test this test also removes any moisture in the system.

A good way to minamize any leaks is use some Nylog Blue Sealant on any O-rings a LINK

Old 09-16-2014, 10:56 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks everyone.. finally had some time to check this out with gauges.. high side was perfect, and low side was dropping down to about 30ish with 90-95* outside.. put a can in and it's freezing me out the truck now.. but at least i know nothings clogged and the system is working.. I might ahve a small leak somewhere but the AC only recently this past year started to act up and I've had her about 4 years now so i assume its really slow leak.

for now im not goign to worrry with it till i start noticing the cooling reducing being this has turned into my boat pulling truck as I'm getting a Bronco as my main truck

Quick Reply: Any AC Guys on here? Needs some help