2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

5 volt draw, causing PCM issue then stall...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014 | 01:50 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator

I agree, the radio should not be tied to the CCD bus, which is shared with the PCM, CTM (yes a '98 has one), and everything else. But, if he had a radio installed then it is possible that they hacked the wiring or something is shorted/shorting. In a 16 year old truck wires fray, insulation becomes brittle, connectors fail. Things happen.

It is as good a place to look as any.

The steering wheel control are through the CTM and the changes are in volts. The resistance values change the voltage to the CTM input and it all comes over the CCD bus back out to the radio.

It'd be nice to know what the "shop" did check. You really can't test a cam/crank sensor. Sure, they'll measure the ohms and test good but as it heats up it can fail. Both are just hall effect sensors. Again, how's the wiring?

It's the 5 volt draw that is the odd part. I'm looking at it as something on the CCD bus is staying awake. But, again, we don't know really what they're finding.

You can't really test a PCM either.

It sucks having to throw parts at it.

Old 06-22-2014 | 01:57 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

I may not know enough about a pre-2001 Dakotas but the FSM for my truck shows the steering wheel remote switches operating in ohms, not volts. I guess that is one of the electrical differences between the two. Sorry for posting wrong info.

Jimmy

Old 06-22-2014 | 02:05 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Thumbs up

Yes yes and yes to this info

it is possible that they hacked the wiring or something is shorted/shorting. In a 16 year old truck wires fray, insulation becomes brittle, connectors fail. Things happen.

I found a number of wires half yanked out and damaged connectors from the place that mangled my security system install

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 06-22-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-22-2014 | 02:38 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
I may not know enough about a pre-2001 Dakotas but the FSM for my truck shows the steering wheel remote switches operating in ohms, not volts. I guess that is one of the electrical differences between the two. Sorry for posting wrong info.

Jimmy
You are not posting wrong info. Yes, the steering wheel switches use ohms, but the values cause a change in voltage at the CTM. Without the voltage there would be no way to measure the change in ohms.

Quick Reply: 5 volt draw, causing PCM issue then stall...