2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Ignition Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 05:24 PM
cs42778
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Problem

Since I bought my truck 2 years ago, I've always been able to pull my key out of the ignition just short of the off position. It was always obvious because the radio would stay on. I just learned that the problem has gotten worse and I can pull it out from any position. Is that bad? Can it cause problems? My key doesn't look very worn, but I will check when my wife comes home to see if her copy does the same. Can I replace the cylinder myself without a problem? What worries me is that I have the grey chipped keys. Will it affect my remote starter if I replace it? Does anybody have an estimate as to what it would cost for a shop to replace for me? I will be unemployed starting next week and cannot spend much, but will have plenty of time at home! Thanks in advance for any help!

Chad - 03 Dakota Sport Quad Cab, 01 Durango R/T, 98 Ram Quad Cab

Old 06-30-2014, 10:49 PM
archemedes74
Veteran

looks like not available from autozone, and not a cheap replacement part from dealer (over $100). The biggest issue is you may not shut it off completely before getting out. Given that cost I'd wait until it got bothersome before replacement

Old 06-30-2014, 10:56 PM
archemedes74
Veteran

doesn't look too hard to replace, have to pull the shrouds from around the column (maybe wheel? didn't look that part up) and have the key

Old 07-01-2014, 10:06 AM
cs42778
Rookie

I've had the column apart before on my wife's Durango, so I'm not afraid to do the work. What's worrying me is, once replaced, how do I program new chip keys (also expensive) without being able to insert my original keys? If my keys fall out of the ignition while driving, with the chip no longer there, will it shut down my truck? Or is the chip only needed for starting?

Old 07-01-2014, 08:20 PM
KillerKilgore
Professional

Originally Posted by cs42778
... I just learned that the problem has gotten worse and I can pull it out from any position.
Originally Posted by cs42778
... If my keys fall out of the ignition while driving, with the chip no longer there, will it shut down my truck? Or is the chip only needed for starting?
If it will run without the key in then start truck, make SURE in PARK, E-Brake, pull key out, LOCK DOORS and just walk away.

You should get new keys with the cylinder. Don't know if anything has to be programmed for the new chipped keys or not.

REMEMBER if working on the column ANYTIME it would be a good ideal to disconnect the battery. Never know what may cause the airbag to discharge.

Hate to hear about you being out of work.
I haven't been employed in over 2 years (lay off) and NO unemployment check from the get-go. What kind of work you do?

Old 07-01-2014, 08:42 PM
cs42778
Rookie

Looks like 2 available at my Autozone, 55433 zip code. One is cheaper and needs to be ordered, but looks like it may work. It comes with tumblers to re-key the cyclinder before install so I don't have to reprogram new keys or have 2 keys for one truck. YouTube makes the replacement itself look simple enough and I can spend my sweet time re-keying first.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:48 PM
cs42778
Rookie

Sorry, Kilgore. Didn't see your post until I posted my last one. I'm in retail management, been with my company 20 years. They replaced my position with one with similar responsibilities at much less pay. I wouldn't accept the demotion, so I was offered a severance package. 16 weeks plus my nearly 2 months banked vacation. Only problem is I don't get any of it for 4 weeks after separation. Thanks for the input, I think I have the info I'll need!

Quick Reply: Ignition Problem