2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

98 Dakota no factory tow package

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 05:26 PM
flexyxj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
will not be a harness for brake controller, wil have to run your own blue wire from controller to trailer plug. Controller can tap into brake lights, note that our brake lite switch has 3 outputs doing different things and the switch is not to be a remove-to-service item.
I've got a Tekonsha controller and trying to figure out where to get a signal for the controller from the brake light switch. I have two sources of power at the brakelight switch. One has power at all times and the other has power until you press down on the pedal, then it goes out.The other 3 or 4 connections at the switch,there is nothing...Please advise. I'd like to finish this.....

Old 08-03-2014, 06:15 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by flexyxj
I've got a Tekonsha controller and trying to figure out where to get a signal for the controller from the brake light switch. I have two sources of power at the brakelight switch. One has power at all times and the other has power until you press down on the pedal, then it goes out.The other 3 or 4 connections at the switch,there is nothing...Please advise. I'd like to finish this.....
are you checking with key on or off?

Old 08-03-2014, 07:12 PM
flexyxj

I had the key off...the brake lights will work with the key on or off so I would think I'd be able to figure out which one to tap into. Please enlighten me...it's been a long, hot afternoon out there today. This is the last connection that I need to make and want to do it right. I don't want to be hacking into OEM wires that I don't need to.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:31 PM
flexyxj

It doesn't make a difference - key on or off. I've been looking at the schematic in my Haines manual and according to it, the white wire with a tan tracer is the wire that activates the brake lights but that doesn't make sense to me because that wire loses power when I probe it with the test light and press the brake pedal....

Old 08-03-2014, 09:35 PM
flexyxj

I figured it out. I had the brake light switch down out of it's position and when you do that, it works exactly the opposite of what you think it would.... White wire with the Tan tracer is the one to tap into on a 98 Dakota....

Old 08-03-2014, 10:04 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by flexyxj
I figured it out. I had the brake light switch down out of it's position and when you do that, it works exactly the opposite of what you think it would.... White wire with the Tan tracer is the one to tap into on a 98 Dakota....
be very careful- as I said at first, the switch is a do-not-move-or-remove item, as it is precisely calibrated based on it's mounts. Any movement in it and it has to be replaced. -shrug-

Old 08-06-2014, 11:37 AM
bigclubs
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, after reading all the possible mistakes you could make wiring in a brake controller, I'm glad I found a 2500lb pop-up tent camper that has Surge Brakes. No need for a brake controller. I have a 2000 base dakota with a 3.9L, need to replace a broken spring then I will be also setting it up for towing. Only had the truck for a year and good thing I found the spring eye was cracked before I tried to tow the camper.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:43 PM
LIZZRD
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just a reminder, do not tow in over-drive if you have an auto trans...

Quick Reply: 98 Dakota no factory tow package