2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

CBer's Maintenance Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 08:24 AM
cber
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
I have a 7 foot HAM antenna, that folds down for parking garages. But my mount isn't very good, i'm probably going to design a new one with a more powerful motor and bolt it to the bed lip instead of clamping. I was trying to not drill if I could avoid it, clamps just don't stay.
Yeah I just drilled a 3/8" hole through the top of the bed rail and put a stud mount through it. If you decide to do the same, feel underneath and make sure you're at least an inch or so away from any welds. Mine's an old as dirt truck with scratches and stuff all over it anyway, but the first hole I drilled was too close to a weld, and made the stud sit crooked and make contact (therefore grounding) with the metal, so I had to plug that one with blue permatex and paint over it, and drill another one like 2 inches away.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:18 PM
cber
Amateur

Just thought I'd share a new photo or two of the trusty old work truck. I've begun the process of testing Krylon paint+primer, and it actually does really well. The driver's side door and fender are from different vehicles because it was t-boned before, so I had an all blue truck with a green door and a silver fender, and the Dupli Color spray paint, even with sanding and 60+ seconds of shaking, was really bad to splatter and run.

Krylon paint+primer seems to be doing awesome, and is close enough to the factory color that I don't think I'll bother painting the rest of it until hot weather hits again next year.

Tailgate for a test coat. I re-painted the lettering red, I think I'm gonna go "True Blue" with red accents, since I started doing the red accents on the differential plug and brake drums.

Here's what it looked like when I first got it.

Here's me and my buddy Wes sanding down the door to re-paint. I'm in the green shirt.

And here's half of the door done. We weren't even gonna mess with the door at all, but I put like 4 coats on the tailgate and turned him loose on the door and he taped up half of it and used the rest of the can on it, and it actually looks really good, so I'll probably pick up a few more cans and finish the door and fender, and maybe even eventually the whole truck. I do plan on adding clearcoat after I'm all done.

This vehicle has turned into my little project truck. I've already put about $1,000 worth of work into it, but I got it for free, and it runs and drives great, so at this point I'm just playing around with it as a hobby/project truck, :-)

Last edited by cber; 09-23-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:50 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 378 Likes on 339 Posts

Nice work. You didn't need to add the LSD additive to the diff oil. The valvoline already had it. It said "limited slip" right on the bottle. Not sure if having too much does any harm.

friction-mod.jpg

Last edited by Dodgevity; 09-24-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:58 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

On the gear oil - You DO have to read the back.

Some is "Suitable for top off in limited slip differentials" and not for replacement. Some, for replacement. I THINK both of those are the ones complete with friction modifier, but again, do check if buying for your car or truck.

RwP

Old 09-25-2014, 08:01 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 378 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
On the gear oil - You DO have to read the back.

I THINK both of those are the ones complete with friction modifier
LOL, you also have to read the front. The top pic is not gear oil, it IS friction modifier additive, which was the point of my previous post.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 09-25-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:05 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The paint job is coming out pretty good. Yes, finish the door.

On the gear oil, he doesn't have an LSD. No need for the modifier.

Last edited by 00DakDan; 09-25-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:52 PM
cber
Amateur

Went out today and cleaned/re-gapped all of my spark plugs. 5 of the 6 looked almost brand new, but I do believe I've figured out which cylinder has the leaky valve seal, lol.

Image can be clicked to see a larger version

Quick Reply: CBer's Maintenance Pics