2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Possible CTM Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 01:27 AM
popeyebud
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible CTM Problems

Hello,
I am new to this forum but I do own a nice 2001 Dodge Dakota.I am having a few problems with the truck and I am hoping someone here can help me out.
My problem started when I notes my windshield wipers were very jerky when they started to move,I figured I would try to lube all the linkage and check the gear box,After I finished all of that I found it was no help I had the same problem so O got another wiper motor and linkage assy. and installed that only to find that didn't fix my problem either.I also found I only have one speed on the wipers on High and low operation as well as my delay settings.Another problem I found, I was unable to lock any of my doors with my key fob.After further checking I found I could not lock the doors with the switches on the doors themselves.If I lock them manualy I can unlock them with the fob and the switch on the door.
After reading all the information I could in this web site I kind of figured it may be the CTM Module.I am wondering if any one here has any other thoughts on this problem?
Also if I need to get another CTM Module I am wondering about the part numbers,Any used modules I find with my part number on it is the same except the last two letters,How close do the numbers have to be for it to work?
Thank you for any help you can give me and I am sorry for the long text.
popeyebud

P.S. Sorry I put it in the wrong place..)o:

Old 10-04-2014, 10:00 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

It's in the right place Popeye. Welcome!

The wiper delay is controlled by the CTM but high and low speeds bypass the CTM. It should work smoothly in both speeds. Take the linkage off and see what the motor is doing. The linkage itself could be binding or the replacement motor defective. You may have a bad wiper switch assembly.

Is this a 2 or 4 door? The CTM controls the door locks, both lock and unlock, from the switches and the fob. Have you checked using both door switches to see if they lock/unlock, possibly one switch is defective. If you want to isolate the door switches just pull the connector at both doors. The fod (RKE) should still work. I find it unlikely but not impossible that both door lock motors only work in unlock but it could happen.

Basically rule out everything before condemning the CTM. The wipers don't sound like a CTM issue, at least not all of it. If you do get a replacement the part number must match. You'd also need to get your remote keyless entry reprogrammed after the swap.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:47 PM
popeyebud
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible CTM Problems

Thank you 00DakDan for your reply to my door lock problems I'm having.My truck is a crew cab four door.
I would like to try to explain the problem a little better,If I lock the doors manually on the door switch I can unlock them with the door switch or the Fob.
With the key in the ignition in the on position or with the truck running I can lock and Unlock all the doors with the Fob only,I can't lock any of the doors with the door switches.
The other question I have is the part number on the CTM Module,The Part number on my CTM Module is 56045452AH, I haven't found any on eBay the closest ones there are 5604541AK or 5604541AG.I did see one on there a few
days ago same number but the two letters on the end were different,so I just don't know.
Is there a place on this forum were a person can ask people here if they have parts to sell?
Thank you to any one who can help me!
Bud

Old 10-05-2014, 03:32 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Just a heads up, the CTM is a $400 part from a dealer. The"replaces" are: 56045452AE, 56045452AF, 56045452AG, 56045452AH, 56045452AJ, 56045452AK, 56045452AL. The last two letters are the revision. It is specific to 2001 from what I can find.

The door switches work when the truck is not running but don't when it is "ON." Is that ALL the door switches or just the drivers? Try the other doors, they are on a separate circuit for the CTM door switch input.

If it was me, I'd go so far as to disconnect all the door switches and then only connect one at a time to rule them out.

If you only have one speed on the wipers the CTM has nothing to do with that. Check for power to pin 5 (low) and pin 6 (high speed) at the wiper motor. The motor could be bad.

Have you done anything to the truck lately? Replaced the heater core, radio, etc? Anything? Does everything else work correctly?

The grounds for the CTM are located behind the drivers side kickpanel and near the airbag control module, on the transmission tunnel under the dash.

There is a "for sale" forum.

If you Google the part number you will get a hit. There are places that rebuild the modules too. Again, you'll have to take it to a dealer to get the FOB's programmed if you replace it.

I hate to swap out parts unless I can prove it's bad - troubleshoot!

Last edited by 00DakDan; 10-05-2014 at 03:36 PM. Reason: type

Quick Reply: Possible CTM Problems