2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dyno test part 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 05:46 PM
TexasNative
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno test part 2

Hey I havent been on in awhile but I just dynoed my truck yesterday and got an additional 10 horses out of it. The difference was the headers and the programmer. I went from a 146 to a 156. I must admit I am more than a little disappointed with the numbers. I was expecting at least 160 or better. I will post the sheet later on Today so yall be lookin for it. If yall have any questions let'em fly.

Old 10-23-2005, 07:11 PM
Black R/T
Default RE: Dyno test part 2

what size engine do you have?

Old 10-23-2005, 09:13 PM
TexasNative
Professional

3.9 V6

Old 10-24-2005, 08:10 PM
ultimateanswer
Rookie

Thats not to bad. When I had my '99 w/ the 239 I hit a brick wall at the 160hp mark. But you seem to know whats happening on that V6!!! Way to go!!

Old 10-25-2005, 12:58 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly I'm not all that surprised. There's power to be made from that engine, but you've got a bunch of stuff that'll help you move a marginal amount of air over stock. Start opening up the heads or chuck a different camshaft in it and you'll move a lot more air, making more power. I'm going to guess that the stock heads are holding you back, followed by the fuel system. I put a CAI, full exhaust, underdrive pulley, and something else on my old 2.5 liter subaru and it gained a little bit, perhaps 10% for everything. You've got the foundation now for a system that'll allow a lot more air to flow, but you need something to cause the engine to pump more air.

That's the unfortunate thing about modifying a normally aspirated engine - they're typically fairly well optimized for their given components, to get significantly more power out of them you have to start doing some major changes. Everything you've done so far (except the TB spacer, I'm not sold on those) will pay off in the long run if you follow through and get the heads ported, larger valves, bigger cam, etc.

Old 10-29-2005, 02:14 PM
TexasNative
Professional

I just have a hard time beiliving that for all the time and money spent(esp the programmer) that all I got was a lousy 156. Oh well lessons learned for everybody at my expense. If u wanna go fast get a V-8(or as some of my friends(snowman & geewillikers) have told me get a car. Unfortunately I want my cake and I wanna eat it too. I will try to post my Dyno sheet sometime soon!

Quick Reply: Dyno test part 2