2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

timing chain opions

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 01:11 PM
bmsma
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing chain opions

98 cc 5.2, 150000 miles

just started working on her, have new tie rods, tires, plugs, wire, cap, rotor, belts, idler, radiator hoses and heater hoses,

was fixing to put on the new PS pump and get her backflushed today but i have also discovered the plenum problem and am going to repair that as well.

i figure since im at that point then the next step would be timing chain and gears.

but here is my question, this is a long term play truck and within 50k miles or so ill be pulling and rebuilding the engine,

what is everyone experience with timing chain life, im sure its stretched but is it worth the time changing it now knowing it will be redone in a year or so,

i should say once i do have her running she will only be driven about 3 miles a day to work and modded as i go along.

it would be easy to pull the balancer and timing cover and check but if your looking at the chain you might as well change it.

just wondering which way to play the odds, and what kinda of miliage people are seeing on a chain fail

Old 11-16-2014, 09:51 AM
LIZZRD
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the last one went 150k ,so...
if your going to do it make it an upgrade part like Cloyes is one .
or even double roller. Tear your engine apart next year or two, you will still have a 'new' chain and gears, simply re-install.

Last edited by LIZZRD; 11-17-2014 at 11:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-16-2014, 10:12 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

found a good write-up over on BD- bout halfway down second page is a photo link- http://www.bionicdodge.com/bionic/in...?topic=11728.0

I didn't realize the stocker was a double-wide single static chain. Going to a double roller has to be a huge improvement.

Mopar part: $65 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-5249267/

The Bosch W/P is only $50, seems like overall not a bad deal to do chain and W/P for $115. Front main seal is the only other thing that's really a service item in that process.

Anybody know how easily the harmonic balancer comes off? We have a puller, but is it a PITA to remove?

Last edited by magnethead; 11-16-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:28 AM
LIZZRD
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I should put this on my to do list this coming spring. I have 144k miles on mine.
Will be interested on removing that balancer also., sure miss the tool crib/shop from my working days. I seeing a gear puller making a easy job of it and the crank gear.
So a whole gasket kit needed for this job or as much you want to take off the front ?
Also assuming a tensioner is inside there ?...

Old 11-17-2014, 09:08 PM
bmsma
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just ordered the plenum kit from hughes, and a set of new valve cover gaskets since they are leaking pretty badly.

im going to hold off on the water pump and timing chain till warmer weather, the little propane heater i have for the garage just isint quite big enough.

when i started the tune up and the very old nasty coolent that came out i figured i better get a flush done before i shoot all that crap thru a new water pump.

and even once i get her back togather this is a tinker project, she wont see but 3 miles a day to work and back and its not like its the main daily driver, thats what the 1500 is for.

Quick Reply: timing chain opions