2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Passenger Air Bag Problem

Old 11-18-2014, 11:17 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Passenger Air Bag Problem

Tonight on my way home from work the "Off" indicator on my passenger air bag switch blinked on and off maybe 6 or 7 times while I was driving, then it went out and stayed out the rest of the way home. I keep the passenger air bag switch in the "On" position, it has been on since I bought my truck back in December 2005. I have been trying to read up on the operation of the system but all I get so far is that the Service Manual says "The Off indicator of the switch will be illuminated whenever the switch is turned to the Off position." This makes me believe the switch could be going bad. I would appreciate any help if anyone here has had this same kind of problem and could let me know what the cause was and what was needed to fix the problem. I have no codes but the key dance does not read codes from the Airbag Control Module. I doubt my handheld scanner would read the ACM either but I have not tried it yet. Thanks for any help you guys here can offer.

Jimmy

Old 11-19-2014, 09:06 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The light does only indicate if it's on/off. It could be failing, try switching it back and forth a few times to see if that solves it.

You need a specialized scanner for the airbags but there should be an airbag light on if there was a fault detected. I don't think you have a fault as such.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:04 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

it's just a 2 pole switch. I've forgot to plug it in several times after pulling the dash panel. May justr be a loose connection back there.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:46 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks guys, the light did not come back on today at all. The air bag light in the cluster is not on either. I am not going to worry about it unless it happens again. I will replace the switch if/when it does happen again.

Jimmy

Old 11-19-2014, 09:12 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

check that plug on the back. Pull on the panel above the ashtray and it pops right out. It's the yellow connector, as with all airbag components.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passenger Air Bag Problem