2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Diagnosing a clunk

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 10:13 PM
JDak02
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnosing a clunk

Hey guys I'm new here, just recently bought a 2002 Dakota Sport 2wd with the 4.7..Got for a great price, can't complain, it's in real great shape, but I'd like to solve a clunking sound in the front end.

I only hear it when turning at low speeds if I hit a bump. It sounds like an obvious clunk..however when I turn into my driveway..it's a bit louder..and more of a clank. When changing the oil I glanced at the ball joints..boots are all intact, no signs of grease leaking out. I'm thinking sway bar bushings or end links. Just looking for pointers on what to check.

Thanks!

Some more info that might help, The clunk is there when turning left and right, and it's always the same sounds. That's why I'm thinking sway bar parts. Something could be loose causing it to move.

Last edited by JDak02; 12-22-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:47 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Does the truck jolt any when it happens? Crawl around under it, sway bar is easy enough to inspect. You can also jack up on control arm and see if it does it, or jack it up on the crossmember and see if it's a loose control arm.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:21 PM
JDak02
Amateur

I'll have to get back to you about if it jolts or not, I definitely haven't noticed any kind of tug or pull in the wheel when it happens. Pulling in the driveway all I hear is that pop/clank. Too slow to get a jolt I'm assuming. I'll pay closer attention tomorow and get back here about it. Mainly only if the front wheels are on uneven ground.

Last edited by JDak02; 12-22-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:04 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Bad sway bar end links. I have gone through several sets on my 2001. It had the same exact problem, kind of a loud metallic clunk sound when making left and right turns, and was worse when backing up and turning, like when backing out of my driveway into the street. Also had the problem to a lesser degree when going over speed breakers. New end links fixed it. My most recent set are the cheaper Master Ride parts from Napa and so far are holding up just fine. I don't know of any way to check the links other than checking the boots for rips and trying to feel for abnormal movement in the ball socket ends. When mine failed they had ripped boots, every time.

Jimmy

Old 12-23-2014, 12:48 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
Bad sway bar end links. I have gone through several sets on my 2001. It had the same exact problem, kind of a loud metallic clunk sound when making left and right turns, and was worse when backing up and turning, like when backing out of my driveway into the street. Also had the problem to a lesser degree when going over speed breakers. New end links fixed it. My most recent set are the cheaper Master Ride parts from Napa and so far are holding up just fine. I don't know of any way to check the links other than checking the boots for rips and trying to feel for abnormal movement in the ball socket ends. When mine failed they had ripped boots, every time.

Jimmy
Agreed. I had the same clunking over rough surface. The end links on the sway bar were shot. The end that connects to the lower control arm had no rubber boots left on it. Replaced them with greaseable moogs and it feels nice and tight again.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:48 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I had greaseable end links before installing this most recent set of Master Ride parts. At my last oil change I saw that somehow one of the grease fittings fell out, and the link was stripped internally or some other strange problem because I could not thread a new fitting in no matter how hard I tried. I also tried the type of fitting you tap in with a hammer but I only succeeded in tapping my thumbnail with the hammer and giving myself a black thumb that hurt pretty bad for a few days. That was what led me to use the sealed Master Ride parts. So far so good with the new links.

Jimmy

Old 12-23-2014, 11:41 PM
JDak02
Amateur

Thanks for the replies! Everything described sounds like the issue I'm having. I'll get under it and check everything out tomorrow.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:00 PM
JDak02
Amateur

New front links and I'm clunk free!. Though the rears are shot, I ordered some Moog metal links for the rear, after discovering the oem replacements at Autozone are plastic..

Quick Reply: Diagnosing a clunk