2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Steering wheel and key locks up.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 03:12 PM
Magimax
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Steering wheel and key locks up.

Shift is stuck in park and key will not turn on the truck it wants to stick in the ignition. Stepping on break does nothing to allow the key to turn to starting position. Any thoughts on this problem ?

Old 01-04-2015, 03:52 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Can you try turning the steering wheel slightly while turning the key? Sometime a load on the lock can cause it to bind.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:51 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Can you try turning the steering wheel slightly while turning the key? Sometime a load on the lock can cause it to bind.
This. There's an interlock that, if it hasn't broke yet, will break. Until then, you just need to release it's pressure.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:20 PM
LAKOTA169
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that problem on my 2005 Magnum. There is a plastic interlock latch that a small spring hooks to. If the tab that the spring hooks to breaks, you can't shift out of park or remove key. Had to remove console assembly to get to interlock latch. Replaced it with a metal one. This was a pretty common problem. Might try to GOOGLE "interlock latch" for your vehicle. This is the part I got. Made by Dorman.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearc...nterlock+latch

Old 01-04-2015, 09:35 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by LAKOTA169
I had that problem on my 2005 Magnum. There is a plastic interlock latch that a small spring hooks to. If the tab that the spring hooks to breaks, you can't shift out of park or remove key. Had to remove console assembly to get to interlock latch. Replaced it with a metal one. This was a pretty common problem. Might try to GOOGLE "interlock latch" for your vehicle. This is the part I got. Made by Dorman.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearc...nterlock+latch
The dakota's is all metal. There was actually a recall for the original piece that would break. I had mine fixed under recall. After a while it started acting up, turns out it didnt have any grease, so I added some.

FIX thread:https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...th-key-on.html

Quick Reply: Steering wheel and key locks up.