2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

My Turn for an Accident

Old 01-14-2015, 02:49 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Turn for an Accident

Got into a collision this morning - my fault.

Ambulance was pulling a Uturn through a gap in the median of the road, first car slammed on his brakes, then a company van, and unfortunately I was on ice and slid right into the van.

Good news is that everyone is okay.

Bad news is that I messed up the van pretty bad, and my front bumper.

I haven't inspected it too much but I drove the truck home. Luckily didn't puncture the rad but I dented the AC condenser, bumper brackets are mangled, piece of the front grill is broken, and the hood latch is a PITA to close.

Here's a pic:
Truck1_zps83797ea2.jpg

I'm likely going to try and replace the bumper and whatever else needs to be replaced but it'll sit all winter. I'm losing a lot more coolant than I was a month ago and I'm starting to see the milky oil cap.

Best part was I had to boost the truck this morning because it hadn't been driven in about 5 days and it was -25 out these past few days... well it turns out the battery is done.

When I shut it off and put my hazards on they ran for about 5 mins then the truck was completely dead. Boosted it and got it home, shut it off and tried to start again and the battery was toast.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:31 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Glad everyone is OK.

Looks repairable from the pics.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:40 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd at least pull the bumper that way you know what you are getting into. You might of tweaked the lower rad cradle a little thats why its making the hood tough to latch. Look at all your panel gaps and see if they all seem about the same.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:31 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

BTDT. You're in better shape than I was. Your hood doesn't look too terribly bowed, so I think DRG is right, you pushed the core support back a shave. My AC condesor looks like a satelite dish and is held on by zip ties, if that gives you any hope.

As you likely figured out, the plastic and metal bumpers bolt together. If you can't get to the top bolts, take the whole mounts off the frame.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:59 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

I always post this to give guys hope. I know the feeling when you wreck your truck and it sucks!!

Could be worse like my truck lol
unnamed_zps873f3dd5.jpg

Old 01-15-2015, 02:33 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up

Doesn't look bad at all but always inconvenient and a pain to deal with.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:20 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

The damage is actually pretty minimal. It really only seems to be the front bumper and brackets I had to use for my body lift.

The frame-to-bumper brackets look pretty good just a slight bend in the driver side one.

I stopped by my local wrecker and found 5 Dakota's and 2 Durango's, and not a single front bumper was to be found.

Gonna check another wrecker tomorrow. Don't care of colour, I'll probably sand it down and apply some more bed liner like I have on the rest of the truck.

I did notice a slight gap between the hood and driver side fender tho.. I think it tweaked upward but really not that bad.

The whole process is frustrating... I hit a company van and therefore had to go to the police station and fill out some crap after being told by a cop that I didn't need to. Insurance is handling it atm so I'm just focusing on fixing my own truck.

And dodgeramguy, yours looked a hell of a lot worse than mine

Old 01-16-2015, 10:18 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by sxrsil3nt
I stopped by my local wrecker and found 5 Dakota's and 2 Durango's, and not a single front bumper was to be found.
Too bad you're not closer. Plenty of them sitting in yards down here. At least now you can upgrade to a bumper with fog lights. Make lemonade from lemons.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:06 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Too bad you're not closer. Plenty of them sitting in yards down here. At least now you can upgrade to a bumper with fog lights. Make lemonade from lemons.
Yeah I won't be adding fog lights to the truck. Promised myself I wouldn't put any more money into it unless its emergency repairs.

Some guy wants $200 for a bumper near me... $40 at a pick and pull.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:08 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Lots of bumpers here but the hard part is finding one that not rusted out already.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Turn for an Accident