2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Trans neutralizing in turns

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 11:19 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Trans neutralizing in turns

Trans fluid is halfway down the "OK" bar, going to add more tomorrow. But turning either way, the trans basically neutralizes and RPMs go to the moon if I don't lift, then things go back to normal when I straighten out. Safe to say the trans fluid is slushing away from the pickup, but i thought that the whole pan basically was a pickup? Unless my dipstick isn't reading right...I do have a leaking trans cooler fitting.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:19 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

How are you measuring it? I mean, motor and transmission warm, motor running, transmission in neutral after at least 5 seconds in each gear? Or cold with the motor off?

RwP

Old 01-15-2015, 08:20 AM
emesnarf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First see if filling the trans to the correct level helps with this problem. An active leak / fluid loss is as you said is the most likely cause. If the transmission still drops out of gear on turns it may be due to the trans filter being loose which also acts like a pick up and draws from lower in the trans pan than it would if the filter was loose or the seal between the filter and pickup were missing or not sealing. With the filter not in correctly place you would starve the pump feeding the transmission any time the fluid moved in the pan. Resulting in no hydraulic pressure to hold the clutches and bands in place to hold the trans in gear.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:04 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

loose linkage or motor mount? my pappy always said "check the easiest and cheapest things first"

Quick Reply: Trans neutralizing in turns