2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

03 dak brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 11:56 AM
lineman01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 dak brake issue

Hey all, I'm hoping to be able to get some tips on what could be wrong with my brakes, or if its just a simple bleed fix.
So I've thought for a couple days that my brakes were a little spongy but wasn't sure and had no time to look into it. A week ago I was commuting in -40C weather and went to use my brakes and had basically nothing there, pedal went slowly to the floor. ABS and parking brakes lights were on aswell. I assumed I had blown a line, and like an idiot never checked the brake fluid level in the reservoir. I've driven it another 300km since then and now finally had time to look at it.
Brake fluid reservoir has only a skim of fluid on bottom so thats likely the culprit. But also, when the truck is off the brakes are reasonably stiff, and only travel abut halfways to the floor. When running, the brakes have minimal resistance and travel rite to the floor.
And this is after bleeding maybe 100 ml from the front 2 brakes. I've learned now that I should start at the back and thats what I'll do, but now I'm afraid that perhaps I'm having a master cylinder issue as well.
If anyone has any tips for me I'd be greatly appreciative!

Oh, it's and 03 3.9L QC and I'm not sure if I have ABS or not as I'm 3rd owner...Thanks!

Old 01-17-2015, 09:14 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Brakes are stiff when the truck is off because there is no vacuum going to the booster. Normal. Bleed the brakes. Should be ok.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:56 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Cool

Get the system checked for the tank to be so low you must have a leak in the system time for a complete brake system check.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:53 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

ABS light and brake light both solid means zero fluid pressure in the ABS unit. Sounds like not only do you need to bleed the entire system starting at the master cylinder, but you need to find a very significant leak. And it could very well be leaking past the piston and putting fluid in the boost module.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:45 AM
lineman01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I never saw any leakage around the wheel assembly and I figures if I had a major leak someplace else I would see it whIle bleeding cup there'd e pressurized flip going thru everywhere. Haven't seen any leaks, but I'm with u guys on the fact that I must have a leak somewhere.
What exactly did u mean by bleeding starting at the MC? Do you think i can bleed it backwards? I think I might be looking at talking to a mechanic...I'm def not very auto smart.

Quick Reply: 03 dak brake issue