2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

manual transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 10:48 PM
Vladek
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default manual transmission question

i've noticed a couple of odd behaviors with my dakota lately and was hoping to get a few options/ideas.

1- after i have come to a complete stop. the truck will have a small jerk (kinda like when you shift an automatic from drive to neutral), even when the clutch is pushed in all the way to the floor. this doesn't happen all the time either.

2- noticed this one couple of days ago. would come to a complete stop at a light, clutch pushed in to the floor. the rpms will low (3 to 3.5) for a couple seconds then go back up to normal idle.

any input would be great.

01 dakota, 4.7, nv 3500

Old 01-21-2015, 09:15 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Number two is likely a dirty throttle body and the IAC needs cleaning. Take it off the truck to do it right.

Number one? Could be the rear brakes hanging up. Does it do it any specific gear or in neutral?

Old 01-21-2015, 05:25 PM
Vladek
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not really any specific gear, but i well have to check the brakes out. (might need a good cleaning).

thanks for the pointers. better than replacing the clutch.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:07 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sometimes, the slight clunk as you're stopping can be caused by the driveshaft slip yoke binding. It's more common in driveshafts with the slip yoke built into the shaft, but can still happen on the ones that slip in the transmission, especially if you have worn splines and/or a worn tailshaft bushing.

Quick Reply: manual transmission question