2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Towing a Camper

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 10:55 AM
patchelect
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Towing a Camper

I have an '01 Dakota 4X4 with the 3.9 and an automatic. It has led a relatively easy life, gathering all of 60K on the clock in all these years. I was originally purchased as a work vehicle, but obviously it didn't work very hard. I've been the driver for 99% of the time. I'm reaching retirement and have been thinking about getting a travel trailer so my wife and I can get around a see places we've never been.

The truck doesn't have anything factory installed on it for towing and I know I will need to put on a good hitch and all the necessary wiring, but I am more interested in what others may tow, besides boats and now mobiles. I'm leaning toward a small trailer vs a pop up. I intend to install a cap on the truck for added stowage. Is there any input on the idea? I know that the engine size alone will limit my towing capacity, but I'm wondering what others may drag around behind them?

Old 02-01-2015, 07:23 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess it depends where you plan on going... Straight highway will be fine but mountain terrains will be rough... Also dont forget to add an trans cooler. I recommend a jay feather ultra lite. Pop ups are nice for camping every now and then but for camping regularly it gets to be pain to setup and take down...

My dad has one like this that he pulls behind his grand cherokee v8.
19 foot.. They are actually pretty spacious.. I wouldnt go any bigger than 20 foot for the 3.9 v6

Old 02-01-2015, 11:29 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 01 dak V6 3.9 auto trans w / O.D. 3.55 gear open diff. i was getting 8-9 MPG in town only , i drive hard. so i thought ill just get some power anyway. it tricked the trans into going into O.D. at 30 MPH. my MPG went to 11-12. and i did not have to get the speed O changed cause the speed O sencer is on rear gear, not the trans shaft. i said that to say this. for you a 4.1 gear might be good for you but you might give up some MPG on the hi way. it cost me $1,600. with a posi. best $1,600. i ever spent.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:01 AM
patchelect
Professional

Thanks for the input. I don't plan on trying to drag a 30' unit behind me that's for sure! I've been looking at much smaller ones, maybe 20' max. The pop up idea has merit I suppose, but I recall them from my youth (before electricity!!!) and I have bad memories of very wet beds and canvas after driving in heavy rains, although I'm sure that problem has been resolved long ago. And admittedly, a pop up would be easier to stow in the off times, which very likely could be most of the time.

And yeah, the fuel economy on the truck is pretty bad even if I try to light foot it. Mostly low teens around town, which is most of my driving, and closer to 10 in the winter, and highway I barely can break 17. But I didn't get the truck to win the Mobil Economy Run!

Last edited by patchelect; 02-02-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:36 PM
lambs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '97 3.9l Sport, 5 speed manual transmission.

If it helps for comparison purposes, I have towed roughly a ton of mulch in my utility trailer at a time, so I'd guess maybe 2500 lbs total. I do pretty well in 4th gear, but would not think of shifting into 5th or running on the interstate.

I did rent a U Haul moving trailer to help my daughter move. We filled up the truck with boxes (I have a cap) and put the mattress set, furniture, etc in the trailer (5 x8). Driving through the Shenandoah Valley, I kept it mostly in 4th gear and it was fine, not able to hold 65 on the hills, but 60 was doable.

I have a 2 inch drawbar and had the light kit installed to avoid burning out the headlight switch from all the U Haul lights.

My concern for you would not be so much the power but whether or not you can stop the thing. Give yourself plenty of room for that....

Old 02-04-2015, 09:07 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can say for anything you are gonna be towing make sure it has electric brakes!! They make the world of difference and if you need to stop in a hurry it will help.. I know in my dakota when I was running around 60-65 and had to come to a quick stop you might as well forget it! Mind you that was running empty.. Now put 3k+ behind you with no trailer brakes and you pretty much made your stopping distance as long as a loaded tractor trailer

Old 02-05-2015, 07:00 AM
patchelect
Professional

Thanks for the thoughts. I've come to the conclusion that I'll rig on a hitch and towing package, set up for electric brakes, and start with something not too ambitious in a relatively local area. The truck should do fine unless I plan to run the Great Smokey Mountains!!! I think that I'm the one that will need the conditioning. At the moment this is still a future plan, but I wanted to set the stage by asking the questions before it was planned for tomorrow!!

Quick Reply: Towing a Camper