2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Bumper cover 02 one piece on a 98?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 09:56 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking Bumper cover 02 one piece on a 98?

Can you install a one piece 02 bumper cover on a 98 Dakota bumper I compared both a 98 and a 02 bumper and some part numbers match but not all will their be clearance problems with the grill as now the bumper is covered I know on my 98 the grill is close to the bumper.

I compared grills from an 02 to an 98 and get the same part numbers also so it looks like it should work.

Thanks

Old 02-12-2015, 10:23 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Talking

Ignore the bottom blue dots on each year pic as its the rear bumper oops

Old 02-12-2015, 11:34 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I dont think there was/is a difference? I was comparing them in junk yards as i wanted to swap out my front bumper cover from the gray crap they put on SLT model.. they all looked really the same to me but IDK.

I was going to buy form rockauto but ebay is cheaper.. just for the cover they wanted 81 bucks to ship and TBH for that price (not even including their cost of the cover it sefl) you can go on ebay and get the bumper and bumper cover for that much.

I wound up getting this one..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231160942749?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by jondakotaguy; 02-12-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:12 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Yea I started noticing rockauto bumping the price of certain parts kind of high now.

Getting greedy or what I don't know that bumper cover was ok price but shipping was very high like you say.

Cost of parts has doubled in 6 years rockauto front bumpers cost $30 and the covers were $15 with low shipping I know I purchased them 6 years ago.

Its crazy how expensive parts are getting and its China parts also that used to be dirt cheap not now the middle men must be squeezing in between us and China.

Its going to suck when parts are expensive and made in China may as well start making parts in the USA again.

When you order direct from China prices are very low almost crazy low I started ordering direct from China this year the middle men always steal the discounts you should get they get rich we get high prices.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 02-12-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:26 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Don't get me wrong.. I love rockauto, I've gotten some really good deals like 98 buck Police/Service grade Premium brake pads for my truck for 30 bucks shipped.. and various other parts too.

But to be honest most of the parts I've ordred are all older parts that have been sitting around.. even though they dont list it, except in some cases where they mark down really low like the Gator back belts from their Houston warehouse which was covered in dust and diret like it had been in a box of junk sitting.. to the brake kit that was old and faded SMP when SMP was still a good parts manufacture like BWD was.. like form 2003 faded and again looked like it was form a box that had been sitting in someone's garage.

But if its being dropp shipped like the ACC carpert i bought from them.. i got a good deal on the price and shipping compared to buying direct from ACC, not sure how that worked out but it happened..but other times like the bumper stuff.. they wanted $25.00 for the cover but 81.00 to ship? No way it costs that much to ship.. I think they are overcharging their shipping estimate adn whats left over goes in their pocket.. Used to see ppl on ebay do that back in the day..

Anyways with all that said.. that's what rock auto is.. they sale old stuff thats no longer retail grade.. I just got shipment in same part but boxes are same but parts are physically not the same.. almost like two different manf. made them though they are both same parts* and AC Delco box.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:45 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

I've never seen dusty old stuff from rockauto the rad I ordered came bent up but it was the last one they had and I think they knew it was bent before it was shipped.

They ended up giving it to me free and refunded my full amount even shipping no questions.

I like them also but have noticed prices jumping up more than normal on certain items.

Like a power connector I need when I first looked at the price 9 months ago they were $24 now they want $39 I thought wow why did it jump up so high.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:11 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Yeah; you know when you walk in in an car quest or hardware store.. or hell even a resell shop and they got old stuff that's 'new' but just so old its faded and looks decades old? Thats the type of product I've been sent.. its all functional but that's just my impression.. but some other stuff has been ok.. my pop just got AC kit from them and it all looks new.. i suppose it just matters what your buying.

The belts in their defense though were covered in dirt and cobweb material gunk.. i called them up even though it was really dirt cheap anyways they sent me another one free of charge.. you could tell this time someone tried to wipe it down but it was the same condition more or less.. a little belt condition and it was good to go.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:23 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

I just received a new condenser yesterday from rockauto and it did look like it had been sitting on a shelf for a number of years. Maybe they are trying to clear out a bunch of old stock that's been sitting around too long I don't know. It looks still good but it did look kind of aged.

How funny right after you said something first time this has happened to me.

Thanks for the fan offer but I already ordered one

Old 02-16-2015, 11:35 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Thats a shame.. this one is going in the garbage by this weekend. I was only asking for someone to pay shipping.. I'm loosing $100 bucks on this cus i already cut the mounts off it and cant return it since im not going e-fan anymore.

All well..

And yeah.. its just something i learned about them.. thats how they were able to give those insane discounted prices.. most of it barley at a margin and most old parts.. they are like what overstock was originally conceived to be. alot of salers on Ebay are like that too though.. they drop ship from warehouses that have all this inventory laying around.. thats why when you look at their stock.. its not like they carry parts they only have this that and another random because it is what it is.. if its not something being drop shipped.

Quick Reply: Bumper cover 02 one piece on a 98?