2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Front Half Axel breather Mod (To prevent water during offroading)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 02:49 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Front Half Axel breather Mod (To prevent water during offroading)

Hello All;

So recently I had the vent hose coming off my front half axel spitting up fluid everywhere. First time i noticed it was all over the passenger side tire and brake lines/frame area and though i had a brake fluid leak.. After inspecting everything and following the wetness pattern i sourced it to the vent cap.

Typically after researching and asking the forums here its kinda common place for this to happen either the cap gets glogged; pressure builds and blows off once.. or if keeps happening then if the front axel is over serviced (too much fluid) it can happen or water.

This guide is meant to address the water and replace the vent cap.. actually though there is nothing special about it so you can splice lines and reuse as long as its clear however you want..

For the sake of this write up.. i bought a new one.. its 5 bucks at the dealer.

So.. the problem

When off roading.. going to ponds; water; mud it seems water can get down in the difff through this cap if submerged.. being its right on the frame.. so if your tire level which is very common off roading your going to probably have times you get water in.. which as result boils under pressure and heat and blows crap everywhere out the hose.

Factory location:
IMG_20150308_111023_zpsqjlfiq1b.jpg

Other end of hose on the front axel:

IMG_20150308_111042_zpsulpyzoht.jpg

The solution:

So unless you completely drown your truck this Mod will give you at least another foot or so before sucking water..

I went and got some 5/16 fuel hose as that's what was already on the truck... dual male 5/16 vacuum hose adapter some black RTV sealant i already had.

IN my case i already knew i had a pin hole leak in the seal so i poped off punkin cover and drained the fluid.. it was ugly.. water mix junk..

Using WD40 i washed everything down in there and also back flushed the vent tube to make sure it was breathing properly.

IMG_20150308_111050_zpsxa2mhflp.jpg

Good time to inspect your clutch packs and retaining clips too while you in here..

IMG_20150308_111056_zps2npomqcp.jpg

Next I disconnected the hose from the axel (better to work on like this) and conjoined the old hose and new hose togeather.. using the 5/15 adapter using a touch of RTV just so it seals the upper most part of the hose connector.. just be sure not to put too far down other wise youll get it in the hose and clog it. lol.. Just a tip there.. I used the RTV to ensure a good seal so it doesn't have any means of sucking water.

IMG_20150308_131822_zpsztnga2rd.jpg

The other end to the diff i did the same thing as well to make sure it had a nice seal.

Next.. I found myself a spot to mount the new breather and tube too, i choose right behind on the wall behind my front passenger headlight.. which should be plenty high enough.

Drilled me a hole using a 7/32 bit as I'm choosing to use the factory clip ring to hold it place up there..

IMG_20150308_133035_zpspo018tqc.jpg

Installed the new breather cap and the clip on the end of the new hose and finally installed it...

IMG_20150308_134101_zps9wiqbwgz.jpg

IMG_20150308_134101_zpshkoyaaxy.jpg

I used the same factory routing just extended and routed behind the horn and zip tied to the frame so it would not move.. its very secure and just a tip.. make sure you secure it else you will get cought on the pitman arm there.. so be sure to properly secure it.. give enough for flex of the hose but not enough to cause a problem.

I really hope this helps some out there its a simple mod to help try and prevent a common issue for 4x4's going off road.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:55 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On my 98 the cap was up by the rad cap.. I have a pic of it somewhere but will have to search for it..

Last edited by dodgeramguy85; 03-10-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:01 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Really? that would make more sense to me.. but others told me on Dodge talk theirs was on the frame too..

Old 03-10-2015, 01:39 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Found it. Looked to be factory and I would say the old guy that had my truck before me prob didnt mod it. This is from when mine was leakin.
IMG_6451.jpg

I cant be sure but I think my buddies 98 sport was in the same place.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:27 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Good information maybe difference of design model to model or year to year.

Quick Reply: Front Half Axel breather Mod (To prevent water during offroading)