2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Please help with advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 07:23 AM
PAwrestling#1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with advice

Hello all,

Here's my question. My son wants to get a truck and re-do it. Pretty much ground up. Right now we have a 1999 dakota sport ext cab 4x4 with 318. Problem is the body is shot. Not sure if we should start with this one, look for another one of similiar year or in my eyes, go to an older body style ram early 80's and get away from all the sensors and go carbuerated. Im not real mechanically inclined so i thought going older might be easier job. I have experience with older mopars but not much with newer electronics stuff.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:52 AM
patchelect
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Opinion based on my age. I grew up on carburetors and distributors too. However, I have to admit that todays vehicles are essentially bullet proof. Yes if the electronics go sour they are costly but OTOH they rarely fail. How mechanical is your son? You already admit to not being being overly inclined yourself, but if he has the ability, he will gain knowledge by fire. If neither of you have much inclination, the project might be better left alone. Otherwise if he's going to jump in, I'd say find something that is reasonably sound body wise and let him, and you, learn by trial and error on the mechanical stuff. Forums like this are always good for information. Back in the dark ages we were left to Chiltons, Haynes, and friends as our only sources on help.

Doing a vehicle over together will be a great father-son experience if that's what you are planning to do. You just have to keep your cool, as does he, and remember that you were once smarter than you old man too~~~

Good luck to both of you. It sounds like a great opportunity.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:01 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Reading on here and other sites will help you around most problems you will come across.. Having the space and tools are 2 of the biggest things that make a project like this go well.. If you are constantly having to borrow tools or looking to use something to substitute for a socket then the project is a real drag.. If you need tools id take a look at sears. They have socket sets that will pretty much cover any bolt you will come across.. I have the older 154 piece set and it does 95% of everything it needs to.. I have a set of ratchet wrenches,torx bits and 20 piece oversized sockets for the bigger stuff. That covers pretty much everything I ever had to work on..

As far as using the dakota vs the older ram is really up to you. 99's are pretty easy to work on once you get used to the truck. It has wires and distributor so that makes the engine a bit easier also the 318 doesnt have a whole lot of electrical as far as the engine goes. Personally I love the older rams. Super simple and tough trucks got a good straight axle up front. Only thing they lack in is the power department. Stock they are pretty gutless. I would know cause my 85 w150 had the 318 with a 1 barrel on it lol.. Some day when I get more money to play with ill have another first gen ram

Old 03-19-2015, 12:01 PM
PAwrestling#1
Professional

well no matter which way I go the truck will be getting a new powerplant. If it's the dakota ive been thinking 360 slightly built. But then here I go with my first question, building an engine for these newer vehicles with sensors and other crap, does that effect the way its gonna perform or run o.k. or there more to it than just switching from 318 to 360. With a 3" lift and bigger tires I want an engine not to struggle with the bigger tires.. Not going extreme just a nice looking lift with some snap..

Old 03-19-2015, 12:19 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I ran my 98 318 with an sct tune on it with 32in tires and it ran pretty good. I could break the tires loose pretty easy on it. For just being a tune it ran decently.. Once you get into boring and cam you have to get a custom tune done.. You can get a throttle body bored from fassman and sct tune for the 360 and it will run pretty good. They will run fine until you get into the internals thats why they need to be custom tuned...

Also as far as lifts go there is no 3in lift for the suspension.. I think now there is only 1 maker of dakota lifts and I think its tuff country and its a 5.5 lift for around 1,500.00. Anything smaller you will have to go with a torsion bar crank and body lift.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:23 PM
PAwrestling#1
Professional

thanks these are the things I need to help make my decision. I love this site.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:00 AM
PAwrestling#1
Professional

So in other words if i just go with a pretty much stock 360 it should be a direct drop in, no mods? I hate to do this i like the sound of a slightly cammed engine but yet don't wanna have to put a ton of money in tunes and other things. Here's another question, Any preferences on companies for buying a long block 360 that has options on stock, slightly performance, and other type built engines? I have looked thru Mopar and other good respectable companies with good warranties?

Quick Reply: Please help with advice